Two

"Guardian Croft?" I asked as I entered his office four hours later. I had the two lists ready. In duplicate. Rose's enemies were far more numerous than I'd initially believed. And with each extra name that was added the more I feared for her. The woman had no clue what danger she was in. It made me and Russia look like a safe haven.

"Yes Belikov? What brings you here?"

"A few things."

"Sit. That's an intro to a long discussion," he gruffly stated and I did as directed.

"It is," I sighed as I lowered into the chair. "Firstly, I have two lists. Both Strigoi related."

"Two?"

"Yes. This one," I handed over the hideouts-and-contacts list, "is the one I promised last night. The hideouts and such like."

"Thank you. The other?"

"Is a terrifyingly long list of Rose's personal enemies. In Russia and the States."

"Why, does Rose have personal Strigoi enemies? More importantly, why do you know them?"

"Because, I was one. I was meant to be one of her kills in Russia. When she failed to kill me," the second time, "I went after her. In Strigoi thinking, she's too dangerous, killed too many Strigoi, and is linked to the last Dragomir. Most want her dead, but some still want to see her turned. She has been seen as an "asset". I almost turned her myself. Here," I handed him Her list. "I was the cause of at least half those names." He took the 200 plus list and looked it over.

"Where is she? Do you know?"

"No. The Princess hasn't told you?"

"Hasn't told me what?"

"Rose has run. She's outside the wards, god-only-knows where." I tried to keep the panic and worry off my face and out of my voice, without slamming my mask up. We still needed some weak semblance of a cover. But being an emotionless ex-Strigoi wasn't helpful right now. It clearly didn't work.

"You want to go get her, don't you? Your panic is written all over you Belikov."

"So does the Princess." It was a fact but I used it as an extremely weak cover and excuse. "But I told her I'd be the one to find her."

"You've done it before, haven't you? You got her back to the Academy?"

"Yes. I know her well enough to find her again."

"Do it. Her father will shoot me. I'm not joking Belikov. He'll shoot me if I stop you. And shooting me will be the nicest way to kill me for not bringing his daughter back." Hans actually looked scared - almost terrified- of Rose's Moroi father. So, who was he? Question time.

"So, Rose found her father?" Any dhampir knowing their Moroi parent was extremely rare as we were considered the illegitimate children no Moroi wanted to be associated with. Hypocrisy. Hans paled a shade before answering.

"Yes. Well, other way around really." What?! That's never done. A Moroi father wanting to find their dhampir child was mind boggling.

"That's unheard of," I quietly commented.

"He love's her to bits." Even more unusual. "The two are extremely close." Uh oh. Getting close to Rose was no easy task. And this was her Moroi father- the other parent who'd 'abandoned' her- surely she'd treat him in the same fashion she did her mother. I was about to stand corrected. "Thick as," gulp, "thieves. If you would."

Realisation hit and it was my turn to pale. 'Thieves', 'found her' and being shot as 'the nicest way' to kill Hans all led to one person. "Oh no. She can't be. And in that much contact with him."