5

"Let's ride!" The vampires took off roaring down the road. They had a ways to go before reaching Forks. Their journey would take up the night. To avoid the sun they set out at dusk, something they never did. They wore helmets, gloves, and the leather clothing motorcyclists often acquired.

They soon came to the shaded trees and cool air. The leader pulled to a stop and held a hand out. The rest pulled up around him. The could see the sun. "We have to hurry." For the first time in over twenty years, the others heard fear in David's voice.

Dwayne stepped forward. "Where will we go?" His hair stayed long as well as Marko's and it lifted in the wind. Marko took in the glint in Dwayne's eyes. Marko slouched forward, making his small figure tiny. Dwayne was planning something.

"You know something, Dwayne. Tell me."

"There's an area a ways from here. Trees, caves, shelter, no people to discover us."

"Follow me," was all David said.

They barely made it to the cave. They're skin blistered and burned and the smell of smoke filled the small space. They flew up to the ceiling and slept.

******

Alice collapsed to the floor. Her eyes rolled up into her head. Carlisle was by her side in an instant. "What is it?"

"They're here?" Practically on our doorstep."

******

What they did was stupid. If David was awake they were well aware of what would happen. If they had even spoken of the plan if he was remotely conscious they'd end up regretting it.

But they'd had no other choice. And now their friend, brother, leader, wouldn't wake. They tried everything, blood; from humans and animals, they'd even tried they're own. They'd made potions that had left the minds of humans decades ago. Nothing worked.

So they took him to the ones they'd end up killing. Even with they're extraordinary power they knew the others were older, by a few decades, but will, older.

Dwayne held David on his shoulders.

"How much further?" Marko asked as he eyed the stars. They weren't as visible as they were in The Bluffs. "I can't tell time out here. The stars move differently.

"Soon," Dwayne said.

Paul didn't say anything. His eyes shifted and he kept his attention on the forest sounds. "Shut up. Both of you. We're close." His thoughts trailed into the others. The connection they all shared refused to spike into David's mind. Something was really wrong.

"Do you think they can read minds?" Marko asked.

"Let's hope not. They'd have heard us coming miles ago if they're anything like us. Or our smell..." Paul trailed off worriedly.

They marched on until they came to a clearing. "We're here," Paul said. "Who's going to the door?"

Dwayne and Paul turned to Marko. "Should we?" Paul asked his attention now on Dwayne.

"He'll hate us."

"Not for wrong."

Their gazes met Marko's.

"What," Marko growled. He eyed them.

"Marko," Paul began.

"We all love you-" Dwayne added.

"-This will be really helpful to us. And David."

"so if you'll just go up to the door-"

"-Please?" they said together.