Chapter 29

Katy's POV

  The morning went by rather fast. It was filled with endless phone calls and that made me realize I really needed to go back to New York to deal with business properly, or else everything would be half-assed. 

  I managed to get a break for lunch, so I stopped by a place to order some take out and meet Jessie at the studio. 

  When I got there, she was just getting out of the recording booth. I opened a huge smile for her and she smiled back.

  "Hey, guys!" I greeted everyone. "Anybody hungry?" I asked as I raised the bags I was holding.

  "Nice!" I heard someone said, along with other praises.

  I put the bags over the table and people went over there to get their food, meanwhile I walked to Jessie.

  "Hey you." I told her, grinning. 

  "Hi." she replied, shyly.

  I leaned into her to give her a kiss but she turned her face, so my lips touched her cheek. I tried not make it awkward because I understood why she did it, I mean, we were in the studio, there were many people around us and I was pretty sure they didn't know about us.

  "Sorry." I whispered to her. She shook her head and gave me a reassuring smile.

  "So, what did you bring me?" she asked, walking towards the table.

  "All sorts of things." I said and she gave me a doubting look.

  "Deep fried mozzarella?" she asked and I scrunched my nose, pretending not to have it. 

  "Yes, I did bring it." I told her, smirking.

  "Impressive." she said and winked at me.

  I sat down next to her on a couch and we started eating. The energy in the studio was great, everyone was talking to each other and laughing, it was really fun. I even felt a pat of that squad.

  A while later, the studio door opened and no one other than ms. Ellie Goulding walked in, also eating. 

  "Hello!" she belted and I heard several hey's and hi's in response.

  "Girls!" she said, approaching Jessie and I. Jessie had already finished eating and Ellie sat on her lap, because it was a two-seat couch so there wasn't room for her.

  "What's up, Snow White?" Jessie asked, putting her arms around Ellie's waist. "I didn't know you were in today."

  "Yeah, I'm trying to write something with the lads but nothing's coming out good so I'm quite stressed, actually!" she explained, widening her eyes and pressing her lips together.

  "Sorry, babe." Jessie said and rubbed her back. "But you came to the right place to chill. Right, Katy?"

  "Yeah!" I said and forced a smile. I couldn't deny that I felt a pit of jealousy seeing them like that. Jessie looked really comfortable with Ellie that way, they were physically so close and easy with each other like they did that all the time. Did they? I didn't want to know. What I knew is that I wanted to be the one doing that with Jessie. Shouldn't I be the one doing that?

  They're just friends, they're just friends, I told myself in my head. 

  "Earth to Katy." I heard Ellie say.

  "What?" I asked, blinking. I didn't even notice they were talking.

  "I was just asking you about X Factor." she said. "By the way, I didn't expect to find you here."