Stevie's Story

Stevie is sitting cross legged shoeless  on her bed in her hotel room. Even at this age she is very much a hippie, the gypsy that remains. She loves her platform boots but really would prefer to be barefoot all the time.The band is staying at the Grand Hyatt hotel in Melbourne Australia. They have just finished their show at Rod Laver arena. The sold out venue had very enthusiastic fans for every show they've done in this leg of the tour, Stevie is sure the fans know they may never get the chance to see Fleetwood Mac again. At her age Stevie is sure of this fact. Having Neil Finn with them certainly didn't hurt the locals enthusiasm. Unfortunately her feet and her hip is giving her fits tonight.

It felt good to get into her room tonight and get her boots off. As she rubs her tired feet, she knows there isn't much longer in her life she will be able to wear her platform boots. She was just thinking that she missed the days when Lindsey would pull off her boots for her and rub her feet until they felt better. He had those magic hands. Unfortunately his many talents didn't always outweigh his considerable shortcomings.

Stevie grabs the remote and flips on the television. She channel hops until she comes across an old Behind the Music special on Fleetwood Mac. She has seen it before but it's been years earlier. She gets up and walks slowly over to bar and opens a bottle of champagne. She pours some orange juice into a glass and adds the champagne to it. Satisfied with the mimosa she goes over and sits on the side of her bed and sips her drink while watching the show.

She can't help but let her mind slip back into the past as she sees herself singing Rhiannon at The Day on the Green in Oakland 1977. Her and Lindsey hadn't been broken up a year yet then. He still had those gorgeous curly locks she adored and the beard that she recalls tickled her in all the right places. Stevie feels a smile creep across her face watching him play his guitar while she screamed her vocals. She can see her past self occasionally look over at him while she sings. The way he played always turned her on, those expert fingers played the cords just like they played her.

Shaking her head she turns the volume down on the television. She knows there is no reason to think back to those long ago times now. That version of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham just don't exist anymore. Fleetwood Mac isn't the same. It's changed before but the five of them are really what made the band the legend it has become. The reason Neil Finn and Mike Campbell are in Fleetwood Mac lays squarely on her shoulders.

She and Lindsey had been having another affair on and off since before she went out on her Twenty four karat gold tour. In the beginning it was like it always had been, clear back to late 1976. The pattern really never changed, the two become estranged then after an undermined amount of time they would feel that old familiar yearning for each other. Their souls tidally locked, unable to remain apart any longer.

They would inevitably seek each other out and a steamy erotic encounter would ensue. Nobody ever has known her body like him. Nobody ever has known how to make her feel sexy and desired like him. Nobody ever made her feel loved like him. No one.

The two of them would continue on like this having frequent trysts until the inevitable would happen. The jealousy over whoever else they had in their lives would rear its ugly head. The bickering would come next spilling into band activities. One last huge blowout fight would be the last straw then the estrangement would return. This pattern has repeated itself over and over.

  This is essentially what happened this time Stevie thinks. Lindsey would meet up with her at various cities on her tour. They would spend her off day together in her hotel room talking about the old days, watching movies, eating together and of course making love. The times they relived the past where the best, especially remembering when they had nothing but their love and that mattress on the floor.