Part 31 - Iris

Part 31 - Kind Of

My eyes open when I hear someone pounding on the front door. My dad had to work late today, but it wouldn't have mattered since we don't talk much. I assume it must be Sophie and yell, "Wait a minute!" before going to open the door.

Take in mind, I'm being grumpy because I just woke up from a nap.

After I open the door, my eyes don't meet the cobalt eyes of Sophie, but instead, the hazel eyes of Pierce. He's got Ruby by his side and he holds her wrist, looking at me with an unreadable expression which quickly gets me concerned. I open the screen door, saying, "Guys, what's up? What's wrong?"

"We gotta get in the car, get some clothes and don't spend over five minutes. Dad's out and he wants to find Ruby and you but I know where to go."

"Wait, okay, so what happened?" If I heard him correctly, his dad is out of jail. But I can't believe something like that could possibly happen. They have him secure behind bars the way he should be... right?

"Did I hear you right?" I start with a paranoid scoff. "Because I just thought you said, 'My dad is out of prison,' and that sounds kind of... out there," I say using a forced laugh, and my rambling gets faster. "I mean, the police know what they're doing, and one little measly killer like him? They'd still keep an eye on him. I mean, right? Isn't that their job? I mean it's not like they're sitting around eating donuts and taking naps while a man uses an old plastic spork he took from dinner as he sharpens the back of it and gets out, right? Why aren't you saying anything, Pierce? Stop looking at me like that! Is he here or is he not?" My eyes switch back and forth between the corners of my vision but I don't spot anyone except for the two people in front of me.

"Princess, you know the answer and unfortunately I don't have the time to spell it out for you. How about you do me a favor and grab some stuff so we can escape and get away from this b*stard?"

"What?" I mumble, my knees locking. My volume slowly gets louder as the situation really starts to sink in. "You mean, um, I was right? He's... out? Looking for us?!"

"Yes, and we can talk about this when we're on the road so please hurry. You can bring your phone but only text your dad and let 'im know what's going on."

I don't even nod before I practically bolt out of the room, holding back tears and telling myself that now is not the time. I shove my phone and a charger into my backpack, dumping out the school stuff and putting a toothbrush in there with clothes as I was instructed to do. When I come outside we get into the car and he starts it immediately, speeding away from my home. Although I'm not speaking, my thoughts are racing through my head.

There is no way that I'm going to survive. That man probably wants to kill me—and by probably, I mean most definitely. There are quite a few different directions this could go in, but for me, I only see it going into one specific direction. And it's not a pretty one.

So if I do end up dying, well... I never really thought about what would happen if I were to actually get murdered. How long will it take? Will he shoot me too? After I die, will I even be able to think? No, I won't even know that I'm not existing anymore! Will I be reborn as something entirely different—what are the odds that I'll end up as a human again if I do? And if I don't... is that just it for me? And what kind of stupid f*cking legacy will I have left behind?

They'll say that I'm a hard-worker. That I'm "smart." That I was quiet or something. That I'm a pessimistic piece of trash who never really did anything good for anyone anyway.