Moonstar's Weapon

This story is about Wavestorm, a SnowClan cat mentioned in a few stories from here, and her connection to MoonClan. Essentially, this was supposed to play a part in the first MoonClan book, Moonstar's Rise, but I was never able to fit it in, so that's why I'll be writing it in short story form. 

!SPOILER ALERT! Spoilers ahead for the MoonClan Series. I'd recommend reading at least the first book first before diving into this story. There's also some very minor spoilers of early chapters in The Abandoned Warrior, but it's not a big deal if you read this story beforehand.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The forest was bright. So bright. The tiny kit struggled to open her eyes as the sun illuminated the forest. She was lying on her back, trying to remember where she was, and what had happened.

Her entire head throbbed as she rolled over onto her stomach. She shivered slightly from the cold. She was nearly all bones these days. She could not remember the last time she had a meal. Had she gotten a drink of fresh water a few days ago? It felt like it was time to do so again. But her legs were so weak, and she wasn't sure she could make it to the river.

Crunch. Crunch.

The kit's ears lifted up. Something was coming. Normally, she would run and hide. She tried to sit up, but her body was still much too weak. Instead, she crouched down and shut her eyes, hoping whatever animal lurked nearby would mistake her as being already dead.

"Don't linger. We need to collect as many rogues as we can," came a she-cat's voice. She spoke sharply, as if she were leading the group of cats following.

The kit knew that she should remain hidden and hope they pass, but a part of her was hopeful. She knew she was on the brink of death, and maybe these cats could help. She opened her mouth, letting out a frail mew. It was quiet, but loud enough to capture the other cats' attention.

"Moonstar, what was that?" came a more masculine voice.

The kit's vision focused as she saw a slim silver-blue she-cat lurk forward. Her eyes suddenly met the kit's, and silence settled between them.

"It's nothing more than a dying kit," the she-cat, Moonstar, announced to her colleagues. "We don't have time for this." The she-cat turned around, ready to abandon the kit.

"Help..." The kit's voice was more of a whisper. 

"Maybe we could use her," a large, white tom suggested.

"Use her for what? She's on death's doorstep," Moonstar growled. "Our clan doesn't have time for this." Suddenly, the she-cat froze and turned to look at the kit again. She came close, and the kit noticed the she-cat's sharp claws. For a moment, she was frightened.

"Do you have a name?" Moonstar asked.

The kit shook her head. Perhaps at one point she did, but now she didn't remember.

"We have food, water, and shelter. Why don't you come with us?"

The kit nodded her head enthusiastically, but she still struggled to get to her feet.

"Snowfeather, come here and grab the kit," Moonstar barked at a serene looking white she-cat. Snowfeather nodded and picked up the kit by the scruff. For just a moment, the kit felt safe. Somehow or other, everything would be okay, she felt.

...

Living with the MoonClan cats, as the kit had learned to call them, was rewarding at first. She was suddenly eating often and getting to sleep in warm dens with actual nests. She was putting on weight again, and she felt like she had gotten some energy back.