Chapter 3

Grey eventually found his classroom, as he walked in, everyone giggled. The teacher glared at him.
    "You're late. The seating chart is on the white board." The large, elderly man grumbled. Grey eyed the board, noticing that his desk was right next to Alister's. Alister Hawkins is the most popular, and most powerful student in the school. He was gorgeous. He had chestnut locks, always in a ponytail, with striking brown eyes. His glasses only seemed to make his shine flashier. He was an air oddity, and Grey looked like a loser next to him. Grey took a deep breath and sat down. Alister looked at him.
    "Hi. I'm Alist-"
    "I know who you are. Alister Hawkins. Every girl wants you, most intelligent and most powerful boy in the academy. Yeah, I know, don't talk to me. I know you hate me." The boy looked confused by Grey's tone.
    "Hey, I just trying to be nice." Grey noticed Alister's long, silver earrings as he went back to work. He felt bad for assuming how Alister would treat him. As the teacher handed out papers, Grey noticed someone in the room, who didn't seem to care about her work. She was a water oddity, based on her sailor themed uniform. She was fiddling with her thumbs. He didn't bother to talk to anyone, however. He stared down at the world map on his desk. Basic latitude and longitude stuff. Within the 20 minutes that had passed, Alister was complete. Grey glanced over at the boy's paper. Perfect handwriting... He felt jealous. Alister noticed.
"I thought you didn't like me?" He snickered. "It's fine, copy my work. See what score we both get." Alister had a careless yet mischievous tone to his voice. He knew they would both fail if Grey copied. Why would he risk his reputation like this?
"Who said I was copying you?" Grey snorted, trying to sound tough.
"Pathetic."
"Excuse me?" Grey glanced at Alister again. The oddity held a smirk on his slightly tanned face.
"I said that you're pathetic. Grey, if you really think that I'm going to trust the fact that you just lied in the most obvious way is pretty damn sad. You were staring at my paper. Telltale sign of a cheater. Better luck next time." He giggled again, shoving the paper in his bag. Grey's face had gone white. He was just lectured by another student, the best student at that. Why was he even trying to copy him? It was only Alister. Grey turned away from Alister, who's gaze still seemed to dig into his mind. As Grey finished up his sad excuse of a paper, he slipped it into the turn-in crate on the cedar table in the front of the room. The class bell rang, signaling the end of the period. The teacher hadn't even introduced himself, or, maybe he did. Grey was late. The boy began to gather his stuff when the same girl he noticed earlier approached him.
     "Hi. Grey, right?" This caught the air oddity off guard. How did she know his name? She was at the back of the classroom and most certainly did not hear his and Alister's conversation.
     "Yep, that's me. How exactly do you know my name? Am I supposed to know you?" The water oddity looked at her shoes.
     "No, I was just wondering how you were able to talk to Alister Hawkins! He's like, the cutest boy in school! But he always ignores me." Grey furrowed a brow. He snickered, the girl tilted her head in confusion.
     "Well, I honestly don't know. You could talk to him now, he's right there." He gestured towards the two desks near the front. The girl grinned ear to ear, adjusting her sea blue hair, that fell to her hips.
     "Thank you! My name is Scarlette Lesenta, by the way." She ran off towards the boy, who instantly fled, terrified. "Aw..."