The Forest

Although strong in loyalty and spirit, it was obvious the group was very weak and vulnerable. They had dropped in many numbers and now there were only 8 of them with no idea of how many enemies. They had walked all day through the hot and humid jungle. You couldn't settle in one spot for there were many mosquitoes that attacked any animal that wasn't moving. Also, there were many beasts. They hadn't encountered one yet, but they were still very cautious. The journey through the forest could be anywhere from a day to a month of walking. They used cocoa beans on the trees as food and hunted smaller wild animals. The cocoa beans provided a lot of calories and nutrition to keep them from starving. The best part about them was there's infinitely many in the jungle. Besides cocoa beans, the killed a couple rabbits which was evenly divided. Everything began to go well, they weren't starving, the hadn't seen any rebel villagers, and they set up there camp under ground so that the beasts couldn't capture them. That night was the first sleep in which they hadn't been awakened. The group slept for a solid 13 hours and woke up to singing birds. The doctor woke up earlier to prepare breakfast. It consisted of cookies, rabbits, and milk from a cow they found. After everyone ate and got ready they all discussed yesterdays events and planned their route. The priest suggested we climb up a tree to see how big the woods were. One of the soldiers volunteered and located the tallest tree in the area. When he came down from the tree, his face was sickening. His accounts were the jungle was unending in every direction except where they came from. Mianite looked up and said,"well, we have no time to waste." No one disagreed or argued and so they began their walk again. Today,however, they picked up the pace and began to jog throughout the day. After jogging nearly all day the priest suggested to climb up a tree and see if they were any closer. Another soldier volunteered and with the same result. He said," we cannot forget the way in which we came in, it looks as if it's an unending ocean of trees in every direction." In hearing this, the doctor said that every night before they go underground they should mark on a tree which direction to go. After marking the tree, they dug underground once more and went to bed. That night they slept 10 hours and once more the doctor fixed them breakfast. They then went to the tree in which they had marked and began their travel. After jogging at an even faster pace than before and nearly 16 hours, the heard waves crashing and began to sprint fast! The broke through the vines and saw water! They were all so happy and excited except for the doctor. When the priest asked what was the matter, he responded with," this was the way i which we entered. I placed those rocked that are laid in that circle for our fire we had, and there is still ashes here that look a couple days old." The whole group just collapsed. They had traveled so much land in one day and now that this happened many more lost hope. The doctor then grabbed the soldier that was in charge of the direction and began to yell at him. "You did this! You will die for this!" The soldier resisted the punches until the others split them apart. Just as they did that, Mianite was knocked out. The others didn't hear because they were arguing and didn't see because their backs were away from him. Then, the rest were also knocked out and the priest just got a quick glance of who it was, it was the rebels....