Chapter 3

Three Months Later
Davenport Homestead

I placed the last dish on the table, finally finished with the dishes. Papa was still punishing me for not telling him about my abilities. I heard a thump and a groan of pain, running outside. I started laughing at the sight in front of me. Cretino ( My nickname for Ratohnhaké:ton.) was laying on the ground moaning in pain, with a broken branch beside him.

"What happened?" I finally asked, when my laughter had died down.

"He fell out of the tree." Papa said, coming over.

I started chuckling. Papa smacked my arm with his cane.

"I told you that the branch wouldn't hold your weight." Papa said, scolding Cretino .

I heard barking, looking up I see Shadow running towards me.

"Come here, bella!" I called crouching down to pet her. She comes running, knocking me down, licking my face, laughing I try to push her off me.

"Okay, that's enough. I need you and the boy to go muck out the horse stable before it gets to cold." Papa said, walking inside, groaning I got up.

"Come on, Cretino ." I said, walking to the stables.

"What does that even mean?" He asked, coming after me.

I just chuckled not answering. I grabbed a pitchfork, throwing it at him. He quickly caught it before it could hit him.

"Were you trying to hit me?" He asked, glaring at me.

"Maybe." I said, grinning at him, grabbing my own pitchfork. I started shoveling the horse shit into a wagon.

"Are you just going to stand there?" I asked, glaring over at him. He was leaning against his pitchfork, looking at me.

"Maybe." He said, smirking.

"I have a pitchfork full of horse shit, do you really wanna mess with me right know, Cretino?" I asked, holding my pitchfork, which was full of disgusting wet horse shit, threateningly.

"You wouldn't." He said, smirking again. I hated that smirk. I chucked the horse shit at him, hitting him on the shoulder. Some of it splashing onto his cheek. He look over at me in horrer. I laughed at the expression on his face.

"I can't believe you did that!" He growled.

"I did warn you. You should learn now that I always do what I say I will." I said, grinning at him.

"Okay, come give me a hug." He said, holding out his arms, walking toward me.

"No!" I screamed in horrer, running away. I heard him come after me. I ran into the woods, dodging trees. I ended up at the lake.

"Medra!" I cursed, looking around. Cretino is right behind me.

"There is no where to go, Sahra. You are trapped." He said grinning. "How about that hug now?" He asked, smirking.

"Nonononono." I said, shaking my head. He came running at me, remembering the training that Papa had taught me. I dogded out of the way, kicking him on the back. He stubbled forward falling into the lake with a splash. He comes up gasping for breath.

"I...can't...swim." He gasped between breathes.

"Your lying. I'm not going to fall for it." I said, crossing my arm. He goes under again. He doesn't come back up.

"Derr'mo!" I swear as I quickly take off my boots, diving into the lake. I swim down looking for him but I can't see him, swimming back up to get air before going back under. I can feel tears prickling my eyes when I can't find him. I swim back to the serifs.