Lost in the memories

|Hotaru

As I always did, I went to the forest and sat in the place where we first met. The place as usual, was green and beautiful. But it felt empty..

And I knew why.

It has been three years but I can't move on.

Like I did last year, I started telling him about what happened to me while I was gone. I told him about school, my friends, about the guy who asked me out (and got rejected) and so many random things, like I always told him when he was there.

I'd like to pretend that he's still listening to me now.

"We're the same age now." I smiled at the mask I was holding. Gin once told me that he himself wasn't sure about his age but he prefers to call himself as a nineteen year old boy. He said he stopped growing once he reached the age of nineteen.

I remember that time when I told you how to use the kite. I was actually quite surprised that you didn't know about kites.

That one time I tried to scare you but ended up hurting myself. That was the first time I got emotional about you. I was truly scared of losing you.

I will never forget that day, for the first time we went on a "date". You put the mask on me and kissed it. That moment will always be something that I'll cherish forever.

The same night, you disappeared into nothing. But atleast I got to hold you, even if it was just for three seconds, I was happy.

But I'd rather not feel your warmth than you disappearing completely.

It's just not fair. All you wanted was to feel the warmth of humans but that cost you your life.

My lips tremble when I remembered you opening your arms and telling me with the most beautiful smile ever, "Come here, Hotaru! I can finally touch you."

I knew that it would be the last time I would ever see you. Instead of showing you my tears, I put on the happiest smile and threw the mask down and ran towards you.

I was happy and excited to touch you. I knew what was going to happen but I brushed it off and hugged you like my life depended on it.

Your warmth was soothing. It was different. It was too good to last long. Within seconds, I felt cold. I held your clothes and cried and cried till I ran out of tears.

When you left, you took away a part of me. Now my heart is filled with sadness.

I feel empty.