Goodbye

|Hotaru

Three years ago, at the festival

We were walking in silence. It was a peaceful one.

I kept thinking about how glad I was that I got lost in the forest. If not, I would've never met him.

I smiled at him. I don't think he noticed it, considering the fact that I'm wearing his mask and also, his back is facing me.

I looked at our hands connected by a piece of cloth. How I wish I could touch his hand. I wonder how warm it is.

I sighed silently, suddenly wishing that I was also a spirit.

Everything was going good. So perfect that of course, something bad must happen to ruin everything.

A bunch of small boys were running around and one of them tripped. Before he could hit the harsh ground, Gin grabbed his arm and saved him from injuring himself.

I smiled at his kindness. If I knew what was going to happen, I would've never.

His kindness cost him his life.

Gin's hand suddenly started glowing bright green. I was confused for a moment then widened my eyes when I realized,

"Wait, that was a human boy?!"

"Spirits disguise as humans because sometimes, real humans accidentally come here."

I couldn't believe it. He can't disappear, right? That was an accident.. It's not fair.

I stared at him.

He suddenly opened his arms and said, "Come here, Hotaru! I can finally touch you." He smiled so beautifully that I almost forgot what was happening.

I knew this was the last time I'll ever get to see him. This was the last time I could hear his voice.

This will also be the first and the last time I'll touch him.

I hid my tears, threw down the mask, put on the biggest smile ever and jumped into his arms.

He felt warm. It was soothing. Within seconds, I felt the chill breeze hit my skin.

I saw specks of light go up. Then I heard his voice.

"I love you, Hotaru."

"Yeah, I love you too."

I sobbed.

"Thank you, Hotaru, because of you, Gin could finally feel the warmth of a human." One of the spirits said.

This made me cry harder.

"I'm sorry." I croaked. Maybe if we had never met, this wouldn't have happened.

"No, he was not happy before he met you. He truly cherished you. You made him happy, Hotaru."

I smiled through my tears and kissed his mask.

I will never forget our memories together. You will always live in my heart, Gin.