Chapter Forty-Two: Hunting Dog

Izuku glanced out the window and squinted at the fading light of the sun as the car pulled up to the apartment complex where Himiko was staying. Tsukauchi had driven them there a few hours after school had ended for his next meet-up with with her, which was supposed to happen at seven; five minutes from now. He had been only slightly reassured by the information Nighteye had given them—knowing they weren't walking into a trap was good, but it was still like waltzing into the lion's den.

As soon as Tsukauchi parked, the detective turned around in his seat to look at Izuku. The expression on his face was serious. "Remember what I said, Izuku. No matter how this goes, you do exactly as I say. This is Himiko's best chance, but we either do it right, or not at all. Are we in agreement?"

Izuku nodded. "Yes, sir."

Tsukauchi grabbed a backpack from his passenger seat and hefted it over one shoulder after he removed the keys from the ignition. "I brought medical supplies in case we need them—it sounds like you usually do. There's also a change of clothes in here for you in case things get messy."

The boy unbuckled his seat belt and looked out the door. "It's only serious when she's in a really bad way. When she's settled, it's more like she, um...snacks?"

Tsukauchi snorted bluntly. "That's one way of putting it, I suppose. Alright, let's go."

They left the car and entered the building, Tsukauchi following Izuku to the apartment Himiko resided in. Ensuring they were alone in the hallway, Izuku knocked on the door.

A few moments of silence later and the door opened a bit to reveal Himiko smiling brightly. "Hey, Izu! You're—oh."

She paused and instantly grew tense at the sight of Tsukauchi, her eyes darting from him to Izuku with some suspicion. Izuku was quick to raise his hands up in a placating gesture. "It's okay, he's a friend. He's not here to capture you. I promise."

Himiko's gaze shifted back to Tsukauchi and she watched him for a bit longer before nodding slowly and letting them both in. She was quiet and Izuku knew it was because she was in fight or flight mode, considering all her options on the off-chance Tsukauchi was actually here to capture her.

"Is Kurogiri around?" Izuku asked.

"...Not right now," she answered, still watching Tsukauchi with no small amount of wariness. "But he's not far if I need him."

"I can assure you that won't be necessary," Tsukauchi said in an effort to reassure her. "Let me introduce myself. I'm Naomasa Tsukauchi. I'm a police detective."

"A police detective," Himiko's gaze narrowed further in suspicion. "And what exactly are you doing here?"

"I'm just here to ensure Izuku is safe," he answered. "Kurogiri is fulfilling a similar role, isn't he?"

"S'pose so," she muttered.

Izuku decided it was best to separate the two before Himiko became too unnerved by Tsukauchi's presence. "Hey, how about we go to your room?"

She nodded somewhat stiffly and was quick to take his wrist and pull Izuku away. He knew Tsukauchi wouldn't argue in this instance because it gave him the opportunity to scout out the apartment—Katsuki had done the same not long ago, but he wasn't a detective.

Himiko shut the door behind them and locked it for good measure. Her posture was more intense thanks to her agitated state, but Izuku took it all in stride. He'd seen her much worse than this.

His shirt came off and hadn't even hit the floor before she pounced on him, taking some of the aggression out of her system as her teeth pierced the skin between his neck and shoulder. Izuku winced and held on to her as the blood flowed and she began to calm.