~Chapter 3~

"Hey D?" Kaylee spoke softly. "Yes K?" Danielle answered, her eyes not leaving the delicious food. "I know this is very sudden but... do you wanna have a sleepover tonight?"

'What if I can't control myself?' was all Danielle could think about. She was scared that if she would accept the offer, she'd mess everything up. "We don't have to if you don't want to..." Kaylee sounded worried and a bit ashamed of asking her best friend.

Danielle sensed the worry in her voice, which caused her to stop staring at her food like the answer to all of her questions were written on it, and look up at her 'more than best friend'. Kaylee was confused; why was she ashamed? Danielle and she did this thousands of times before, so what made this time different? Both of the girls felt that there was some kind of tension between them, but what kind? The auburn-haired girl looked up at Kaylee and thought she saw a small and desperate smile on her lips like it was begging her to accept her offer.

Kaylee's lips... she stared at her lips. That's when it hit her: if she can nearly control herself right now, what will it be when they're together in Kaylee's bed, in the dark, just the two of them? No way she wants to find out. And so she made her decision: "I think I'll pass..." she said while standing up a little too fast, making herself dizzy for a split second. The younger girl let go of the chair she used for support and walked out as fast as she could, leaning her back against the wall when she was certain she disappeared out of the older girl's sight. Instead of blood, disappointment was running through the brunette's veins.

"What was that?" Quincy asked, worry throbbing off of his words. Kaylee looked up at her friends with a zoned-out look on her face. Her thoughts were pounding in her head: why did Danielle reject her offer? Did she say something wrong? Did she just mess everything up?

Those loud thoughts were causing her to miss the words coming out of her tablemate's mouths. Her eyes went from the questioning boy to Jenny, who was looking pretty confused. "Is there something going on between you two?" the blonde asked. "I'm as confused as you are," the brunette spoke. She stood up and left the room with her head held down. Normally you'd think someone rejecting a sleepover isn't such a big deal, right? They would think that Kaylee just overreacted, but the thing was that Kaylee knew her best friend, and Danielle never said no to a sleepover with her.

Quincy and Jenny both rested their gaze on the empty paper bag that was standing on the table, and the now almost cold food next to it."Hero time," Quincy spoke. "Um no," Jenny said, shaking her head, "you're staying here. They're best friends, they'll figure, whatever this is, out on their own. They know each other better than they know themselves! By the way, you think D still wants this?" she asked while scooting closer to the food on the table, bending over to move it closer to her. She heard someone running and turned her head, noticing that it was her friend who ran away. "Quincy! I said don't! Come b- oh my God, you're unbelievable!" the blonde yelled, her words trying to reach the boy. She sighed and started chewing on a fry.

---

Two knocks were heard. "Who is it?" a sad voice spoke. "It's me," the visiter's words were soft. A sob cut through the three seconds of complete silence: "Come in".

"Jenny is about to eat all the McDonald's..." Quincy spoke while entering Danielle's trailer so carefully that it seemed like he was walking on eggs. The girl was sitting on her couch with some Ben and Jerry's she bought and her laptop, playing 'Titanic', on her lap.

"What happened out there?" the boy asked carefully, "Did she reject you?" Danielle scoffed. "No, I panicked and rejected her, b-" "-She likes you?!" Quincy whisper-shouted. "Dude no! She offered me a sleepover, but I rejected cause I kept thinking about how I would probably tell her everything that's going on with me these days... with details!" she added.

Quincy was aware of the fact that everything goes easier when you're in the dark. He thought it had something to do with the fact that you can't see the people's reactions and that you don't have to look them in the eyes. "I get that but..." he chose his next words very carefully: "what if she feels the same way about you?"

---

"There's no way that that... no, just no," Danielle had tried to argue with the boy for the last 15 minutes, but Quincy saw what Danielle didn't. He saw Kaylee, he saw the disappointment, he saw her, totally caught off guard, he saw how she walked away, with her head facing the floor. Kaylee seemed sad, let down and worried, just like Danielle. It's not because they're best friends that they're the same person. They're feeling the same things, but showing them in different ways, and that's completely normal.

The boy didn't give up and kept on trying to convince his best friend to go and have that sleepover, but he wasn't getting very far. "I'm gonna keep being this annoying 'till you give up, accept that this is your fate and go!" the boy spoke dramatically. "You wanna keep your crush on her a secret, right?" he asked. "Yeah, so?" the auburn-haired girl looked up at her friend while shoving a whole spoon of ice cream in her mouth. "You never say no to a sleepover with Kaylee, so now you're acting suspicious and she'll find out that you're hiding something if you don't go," he rose an eyebrow at her, knowing he had a point and she cursed under her breath. "Dammit! You're right!"

---

Not more than 20 minutes later, Danielle knocked on Kaylee's door, ready to have that fucking sleepover.