Actors

Safe little house, safe little friends,

Safe little thoughts to keep you safe.

Does it help you to pray as you're wasting away

Like a silver screen cliche?

Cause after all we're actors on a stage.

Will it help you to wait for the moment to break,

Is it real or is it fake?

All we are chapters on a page.

Chapter 3 - Actors

 [1 WEEK LATER]

Nico walked out of her work, it had been a long morning and she managed to get out early. She hadn’t had any clients all day but just fixing up the photos she had taken. She sighed bumping into someone.

“Sorry” she said moving to walk away but stopped seeing the familiar face.

“Alex, what are you doing here?” she asked him.

“Well when a girl stops texting you and seems to completely boycott you, I like to know what I done” Alex replied softly.

“Why do you care?” Nico asked him.

“There is something about you and I can’t seem to get you off of my mind” he replied, Nico sighed.

“Alex-“ she began but was cut off.

“Just come on a date with me?” he asked her. “Then you can ignore me all you want but at least get to know me first before you make your final decision” he almost pleaded.

“That’s not it-“ she began once more and he cut her off with a kiss. Her mind didn’t register the fact that he was kissing her for a few seconds but gradually she started to kiss him back. It was soft and gently, his lips soft on hers but he gradually deepened it – becoming rougher and more passionate. It was exciting and she felt alive, she had always thought it was cheesy and bullshit when people described the perfect kiss, how sparks flew and you knew it just felt right. Well that was exactly how she felt. He pulled back grinning. Nico still slightly in a daze looked up to his happy face.

“I have a boyfriend” she blurted out - his happy face vanished in a matter of seconds.

“Oh.”

“It’s what I’ve been trying to tell you” she muttered.

“Then we’ll be friends” he informed her, a determined look crossing his face.

“Why do you care that much?” she asked him.

“I like you Nico but I’ll take being friends with you” he told her. “Besides you obviously don’t love your boyfriend.”

“What?” she asked angrily.

“Well you wouldn’t have kissed me back.”

“You took me by surprise” she insisted.

“Even if I did take you by surprise you would push me away after a few seconds. I may have taken you by surprise to start with but you started kissing me back. If you loved your boyfriend so much then why didn’t you push me away” Alex said as if it were obvious.

“That is complete bullshit” Nico said, he was right though.

“So let me take you to lunch?” he asked.

“You’re unbelievable! Do you have short term memory loss? I have a boyfriend, who I do happen to love!”

“Just as friends, I promise.”

“Fine lunch it is then.”

-x-

“So tell me about your boyfriend” Alex said starting up conversation.

“I don’t know if I feel comfortable talking about him with you” Nico squirmed under his gaze.

“C’mon we’re friends now” he pushed Nico, confused why he wanted to know about him so much began explaining what Oliver to him.

“I feel safe when I’m with him, he loves me and has put up with a lot of shit with me. He is loyal, I trust him and I love him.”

“But are you in love with him?”

“Okay that is enough” Nico told him angrily.

“It’s a simple question” Alex said.

“I don’t need to tell you this though” she said stubbornly.

“Nico what you just told me about Oliver you could say the same about a brother or sister, not someone you are in love with.”

-x-

Nico got home seeing Oliver sitting on the couch, she made her way over to him, kicking her shoes off as she did and sat in his lap. He kissed the top of her head.

“How was your day?” he asked.

“Long” she replied. “Oliver do you ever get bored of everyday life?” she asked him.

“Where is this coming from?”

“Just forget I said it” she pecked him on the cheek and stood up. “I'm going to have a shower.”

“Okay” he replied confused. “And Nico” he called before she left the room; she turned around leaning her head on the door frame. “How could I ever get bored of everyday life when I get to wake up to you every day?” Nico blushed at his cheesiness, smiling she carried on her way out the room.

Nico collapsed on her bed, holding her head in her hands. The guilt was creeping up on her. She had the sweetest most loving boyfriend any girl could wish for. He wanted so many things, that she should want. He told her he wanted children with her and to marry her. To settle down and create this whole new life and a family – something Nico had never really had. But she didn’t know if she wanted any of it. She was only 20 and felt like she was becoming 30. And then there was also the fact she kissed Alex back!

It didn’t mean anything. She reassured herself, it was just a spur of the moment thing. But if it didn’t mean anything why was she feeling like this? Why all of a sudden is she questioning the little things or the big things like Oliver? And why is she so desperate to do it again?