1

"Angel!!! Please come with me to the bodega?" I was literally on my knees begging my brother just to walk with me to the bodega down the street

"Mina ask Monse to walk with you. Lena's coming over and I want to be here when she gets here." Angel said waving me off.

I pouted, "Are you serious? You guys literally saw each other last night. She will be okay missing out on a few minutes with you. It's your fault we're over here in Santos territory in the first place."

He shrugged. 

I huffed. "Fine. Monse will you walk with me?"

Monse nodded. "Yeah."

We walked down the street to the bodega and purchased some candy and drinks. As we walked out of the bodega we ran into my best friend Tia. "What are you doing here girl?"

"My mom needed something and the bodega on our side is too far away." She shrugged.

My eyes opened wide, "I wouldn't be caught walking by myself in Santo territory if I were you."

I know I was sounding like a little bitch but I grew up hearing the most terrifying stories about Spooky. He was the leader of the Santos and he didn't care who you were. If he felt disrespected or if you were affiliated with another gang and in his territory there would be hell to pay.

"It's okay" she said nonchalantly.

I frowned, "Huh? Do you have a death wish?"

She shook her head laughing. "No, I mean. There's a truce right now."

I nodded, "Ohhh." 

I felt a little at ease but I was still on alert. The truce meant more to the people not directly affiliated than it did for us. I was directly affiliated. So was my brother. He joined the Diablos a few years ago. I'm set to join tomorrow on my 18th birthday. Usually girls get fucked in, but since my family were all pretty much in or affiliated I got a pass. So instead we would just throw a big ass party and announce my initiation. 

I didn't really know how to feel about joining. I just knew that's what my family expected of me. 

We were walking back towards Monse's house when a red impala drove slowly alongside us. 

"Hey Monse? Are you still going to Ruby's later today?" A boy in the passenger seat called out to her.

She had a huge smile on her face, "Yeah."

I looked back and forth at Monse and the boy. They obviously had a thing for each the way they were looking at each other.

"Who is your friend?" he called out.

"My name is Mina" I called out, cutting Monse off before she said my full name. This was Santo territory and I didn't want anyone to know Caramina Delgado was on this side. 

I noticed the driver look over at me and raise his eyebrow. He was really cute, but I could tell he was a Santo from the cross he had on his neck. 

"Um, we should really go now", I said pulling Monse quickly up to her house.

The car drove off and I released a breath that I didn't know I was holding. I looked at Monse. "Who was that?"

"Uh, that was Cesar" Monse said slowly.

I narrowed my eyes. She wasn't saying something. "And who was the other guy?"

"Caramina, that was Spooky."

My heart dropped. So that was Spooky. 

I had come this close to dying.

"Let's get inside." 

We went inside. Angel was sitting on the couch making out with his girlfriend Lena. "Eww."

Lena chuckled, "Oh hey Mina."

I waved at her and walked down the hallway to Monse's room. I threw myself on her bed and pulled out my phone. I texted my boyfriend.

Mina - hola mi amor

Diego - hola mami, imy wru?

Mina - Monse's house

Diego - Santo territory?????

Mina - Angel wanted to see his girlfriend

Diego - Mina be safe please, you know its extra dangerous with you being put in tomorrow

Mina - I know I will

Diego - Call me when you get home

Mina - K

Angel knocked on Monse's door. "You ready to go Mina?"

I nodded my head quickly, "Yes!" I gave Monse a quick hug and waved bye. Angel and I went outside and hopped in his car and headed back to the east side. Diablo territory. Where it was safe.

We got home and I ran inside. In less than twenty four hours I would officially be a Diablo. I was nervous as hell. 

I took a shower and washed my hair. When I got out I dried off and tied up my hair so that it would be curly and crinkly tomorrow. I pulled out my dress and my shoes then laid in my bed. I sat there for a while just scrolling through instagram on my phone. I went to Monse's page and saw a picture of her with that boy from earlier, Cesar I think. They look really cute together. She tagged him in it so I went to his page and started scrolling through his pictures. One picture in particular immediately caught my attention. He was with Spooky at the beach. The caption read 'beach break with my brother'. I dropped my phone. Cesar and Spooky were brothers? 

So that's why Monse was always complaining about Cesar's brother

She hated him. She said he was not a good person. I understand why she said that now.

Spooky wasn't a good person. At least not from what I've heard. I picked my phone back up and looked at the picture again. 

He was really cute though. I felt my eyelids get heavy. I went to sleep. 

Tomorrow was going to be a long day.