A Retrieval of Apples

The path back to Asgard was deathly silent. It was almost as if the wind and insects were contemplating what had just happened and took a moment of quiet contemplation, just as I was. Being alone with my thoughts and inner being was a dangerous combination, ideas being argued and formulating into things only I had the burden of carrying. Idunn, Sigyn, Narfi, Angrbodr, Fenriswolf, Hel and the Midgard Serpent. My life is a life only sung about around late night fires to scare the children, but a part of me reassured myself that that was a life worth a thousand mortals and only I would be able to understand.

As I trekked through the ethereal plains a vision came forth, a startling shock that blinded through the air and disturbed the nights grip of the area.

My mother, Laufey.

As thin as needle she stood firm and hugged the foliage. A slender smile drew across her face as she looked toward me and lifted her palms toward the night sky. She appeared translucent and other worldly, not a ghost but a vision of matriarchal splendour, a comforting sight to sooth the most anxious of minds, I stand and wait. Then she begins to speak.

'My son, fear not and embrace the grip of night,

For night will be permanent,

and be upon us after your next flight.

Treasures shall be returned,

Familial bounty, turbulent,

and everything you know will be unlearned'

As the last syllable left her soft lips she vanished as quick as she appeared. She left me a riddle?! A riddle, we haven't seen each other in a long time and she leaves me with a riddle?! Odin help me!

My journey back comprised me of deciphering this damned riddle my mother left me, so night is going to be permanent? Does this mean that Sol and Mani will have a falling out? Is he going to confiscate the sun and keep it hostage? Maybe that is what the familial thing is about? It will create divisions among the family! That must be it! Then in the darkness I must find some wavering ecclesiastical fantasy that will turn me upside down and create a new me?! That must be it!

Okay, it did take me several days to come to that answer. I pondered around different worlds whilst doing so, but I knew what I was doing. I was distracting myself from going back home to Asgard. I didn't want to get in trouble with the others again, I was permanently in their bad books and I dare not cross Thor again, not now that he has his fancy hammer! Bugger it, I wanted sweet honey mead and a nice bed to sleep in, let's head home!

As I crossed the thresh hold into Asgard, I knew something was off. It was quieter than when I left, I looked around and the curtain twitchers were making themselves known and my foot steps echoed off the cobbled street floor. Quick, lets get back to the palace. I had enough of silent contemplation and self judgement, I didn't want to stand in the streets and be judged by others too. My hurried steps echoed throughout the realm and I sneak in through a back door as to hide from the detection of the others, I settle into my room, unseen and unheard. I felt sore and ached right through to the bone, so I run a hot bath and settle in for the night.

A rumbling roar that shook the entire room woke me in the early hours of the morning, it didn't shock me as these disturbances were common. Big, brawlish gods with too much tempter and testosterone tested each other at all times throughout the day. I rolled over, deciding to get up anyway, I draped a big soft fur pelt over my naked body and headed over to the mirror. My eyes looking tired and older, but something caught my eye, was that what I think it was? I jutted myself forward for a closer look, bashing my forehead into the hard pane of silver glass. Ouch.