Chapter 6

John had finished his coffee and left, putting a dollar in the tip jar. He had a lot of work to do if he was going to enjoy his weekend. He started up his car and drove to his first destination, Sunny Grove. It was an older housing district, with even older residents. John's dad being one of them. He looked at the names, and was glad Peter wasn't one of them. Peter Aberdeen wasn't always getting in trouble, just trouble found him. He was now a lonely old man with alheimerz and a son, who usually only visited for tax related reasons. John would've liked to talk more, but there was a pressure to be the man his dad always wanted him to be. John had never wanted to be a doctor, and he was fine not having a penthouse. Peter was a cardiologist and had high hopes, to only be turned down. John had understood that Peter only wanted the best for him, but John was content. Either way he was going to see his old man today. He parked in the messy parking lot, trash overflowing from a rusty dumpster. He walked to the lobby and asked for the room number of Gill Smith. Finally a normal name, he hoped the person was as normal as he sounded. The folk here were divided, some working, some retired. Gill happened to be retired. John walked upstairs, he wasn't in a rush today. He had already ran more than he'd liked. He noticed Gills apartment was right across from his dad's. He knocked at the door, much less shiny than Joe's. And a short hunched over man with greying hair answered. "There's my boy"! It was Peter, apparently watching golf with Gill. Gill was slouched in his seat with his cap over his head. "Come to give me the bad news"? Peter chuckled. "Better you than me" he said in his very lively voice. Peter embraced his old look, but sounded rather young. "Put it on the table". Gill motioned with his wrinkled hands. John put the paperwork on the table, signed it and put his card on the fridge and left. Peter frowned slightly and closed the door behind him. John walked off, all his feelings were often pushed aside, where? John had no idea, and he liked it that way. It's best not to question a good thing he believed. He smiled when he got into his junk mobile. Before John might've felt guilty, but in the warmth of his cushioned seat it was hard to feel anything but clarity. He drove on to finish the day's work. His next destination was just a few miles away.  On the the way there he felt a sudden chill up his spine, it greatly discomforted him and he felt worried.  He closed his eyes for a brief second and concentrated on the road. He looked around, only to see a few old buildings, to his right a window was shining peculiarly.