Chapter One.

Song of the chapter: Fifteen - Taylor Swift

This was it. The beginning of her final year. The opening of the close. She took Ron's hand as she passed through the brick wall onto Platform Nine and Three-Quarters.

Hermione smiled as she breathed in the thick grey smoke billowing from the steam engine that was the Hogwarts Express. She had rarely felt this happy.

As Head Girl, Hermione had ample duties to carry out. She took a deep breath, kissed Ron goodbye, hugged Harry tightly, and boarded the scarlet train with Ginny. She had to wipe away a tear when she recalled the thought that she wouldn't be seeing them until Christmas. She felt so incredibly and unusually alone, as if it was her first year all over again.

Hermione remembered the day she got her eighth-year letter. She was at the Burrow at the time, and Ginny was just opening her letter when a ornate badge fell out of her own onto the table, embellished with the letters "HG". She couldn't believe it.

Ron had been so proud of her, but all Hermione was thinking about was who was wearing the badge entitled "HB".

She had lost so much sleep thinking about this that she fell asleep in the Prefect's carriage R I'm pretty sure the Head Boy and Girl go there as well. Hermione had to be prodded repeatedly to wake up.

Stirring, Hermione found herself face-to-face with the steely blue eyes of Draco Malfoy. He was oddly attractive in this light. Jumping to her feet, she raised her voice.

'What do you think you're doing here, in the Prefects' carriage? Get out before someone catches you!' She shouted, trying to usher Malfoy out.

He caught her wrists and smiled teasingly. Hermione couldn't stand it. 'No need to be alarmed, Granger, I'm Head Boy, you see,' he prodded the badge on his chest that mirrored her own, apart from the final letter, 'though I'm just as surprised as you are.'

Hermione wrestled her way out of Malfoy's grip and stormed out of the compartment. Malfoy didn't appear bothered.

She found herself at the back of the train, breathing in the fresh air and admiring the luxurious countryside. Little did she know, Hermione was being followed.

'It is quite relaxing out here, you know,' Malfoy contemplated.

Hermione chose to examine the distant hills and valleys over responding.

'Did I hurt you? I'm sorry... Granger, I'm so stupid. I-' Malfoy began, but Hermione cut him off.

'What?' She shouted, turning around to face him. 'Since when have you cared about a mudblood? Since when have you started being sorry about things? In all the years that I have known you, Draco Malfoy, never ONCE have you apologised, so why should I believe you? Tell me, Draco,' she lowered her tone, 'should I believe you?'

Malfoy looked surprised but hurt. He opened his mouth several times to fight back, but then thought better of it. He finally found his voice with stating quietly: 'You called me Draco.'

Of all the things that she said, that was the one he cared to mention.

'Yeah I did, is that all you got from that?' Hermione demanded impatiently.

'No... Just let me explain.' Draco sighed.

Hermione raised her eyebrows. 'I'm listening.'

'It wasn't me. It wasn't me who said those things. Well, it was, I wasn't Imperiused, but it was more...'