Chapter Three.

Song of the chapter: Everything Has Changed - Taylor Swift & Ed Sheeran

The sorting ended, and the feast began. Hermione was surprised that the house-elves were still working.

When everybody was finished, the first-years were guided up to their common rooms by the Prefects and Professor McGonagall took Malfoy and Hermione up to theirs.

They were led up to the third floor, and McGonagall stopped at a portrait of a young girl wearing a frilly baby-blue dress. McGonagall cleared her throat and said, 'Puffskein.' The girl smiled and curtseyed and her portrait swung forward to admit them.

The common room was almost square, with three doors going off into three rooms on the back wall. It wasn't lavishly decorated, though it did have several Slytherin and Gryffindor banners pinned up. The walls were painted cream, which made the room look a lot bigger than it was.

There were labels on each of the doors. The one on the left said "Head Boy". This was evidently Malfoy's room. It was rectangular with emerald walls and green velvet curtains. There was a double bed in the centre, and a wardrobe and a chest of drawers to the side.

'Nice,' Hermione muttered. McGonagall didn't hear her, but Malfoy did.

The middle room was labelled "Bathroom". McGonagall opened the door and ushered them inside. It was similar to the Prefect bathroom, but was bigger and the lighting was better. The bath was about 12 feet in diameter and had about 20 different taps. There was even a shower.

The room on the right was labelled "Head Girl". This room was Hermione's. McGonagall opened the door and Hermione gasped.

It was exactly like her room at her parents' old house. It had cornflower-blue walls and a beach theme. There was a single bed close to the window, opposite a dressing table with her straighteners on. A large wardrobe took up most of one wall.

McGonagall took them over some ground rules and then left.