Chapter 2

A few hours later the bus stops in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Josh had fallen asleep within the first thirty minutes of the bus ride. I shake his shoulder gently.

"Time to wake up Josh." I say softly. His eyes flutter open. At first he looks confused and then he remembers where we are. "Come on let's go get some breakfast."

"Can we have chocolate chip pancakes?!" He asks me excitedly. He stands up and picks up his backpack.

I've saved up 783 dollars for this trip, plus I kind of stole about 150 dollars from Andy and Tabitha. They owed it us anyway. More than half of what they get to support us from the state goes toward themselves. I don't know how long it'll last, but I'll make it work. For Josh.

Outside of the bus there was a swarm of people on the sidewalks all walking briskly and purposeful. A lot of them were talking on phones or texting. The street was jam packed with cars moving at speeds that had to be illegal. There are several buildings lining the sidewalks that never seemed to end. There was a book store, a music store, an art gallery several convenience stores that seemed out of place in the mix of cultural buildings and a diner at the corner of the block.

"That looks like a nice place to go and eat. What do you think?" I say pointing to the diner who's name was Emily's Diner.