Chapter one

𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷 | 𝚃𝚛𝚞𝚎 𝙵𝚎𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜

There's a problem at the DEO today, like most days

There's a problem at the DEO today, like most days. Strange things always happen to us, so I guess it's no surprise that something or someone is causing random bursts of energy to ignite anger from people. The misplaced anger almost made Winn and Agent Demos kill each other. Anger is something I've been feeling lately.

It's weird to see that Mon-El knows more about being a hero than I do, the person who taught him how to be one. He keeps trying to teach me how to use my cape for more than just a piece of fabric attached to my suit.

I let my anger get the best of me, and I punched him in the chest, hard. I'm still stronger than him, and I think I forgot that for a second; at least, I hope that was what happened. All I can remember was seeing red and not knowing how to control it. It hurts me to think that I could hurt him like that as he hurt me. The sudden sound of his voice behind me gets my attention.

"Hey." I can tell he's thinking about just as much as I am. I need him to know that I don't hate him, in fact, the opposite, but not yet.

"Hi." I reciprocate the soft, whispered word. I look down not to meet his eyes, but he continues to stare at me.

"So uh- you punched me." I know where this is going. Nowhere good.

"Yeah," I admit, still looking down.

"Didn't feel like part of the sparring. Can we talk about it?" He wonders, stepping closer to me.

"No, I think it was part of the psychic episode." I quickly try to justify my actions, hoping that it's true.

"So you sure you're ok?" He asks.

"Yes," I reply.

"Nothing between us? Because I thought we were in a good place, but if we have to slow down..."

"No, really, I'm fine." I cut him off quickly. "Can we just continue, please?" He nods and walks over to me, readying his fighting position.

I try to focus on the fighting and not on him, but I can't help but think about how much I miss training with him. How much I miss kicking his ass around the training room. I miss him, us.

• • •

The day has turned to night, and the DEO is empty. Well, almost empty. Myr'nn is staying here tonight as a precaution because of the attacks. I changed out of my suit and into more comfortable clothes to continue training. Footwork seems to be the key to getting this anyway.