night terrors (Maxwell x Wagstaff)

((A/N: first story babey! this is just gonna be a cute fluffy story about my odd rarepair. in the story Maxwell had somehow ended up in the hamlet and Wagstaff is letting him stay at his house in the pig village. they've grown pretty close in the time they've spent together, but they aren't together Y E T. they quite obviously have feelings for each other but both are too nervous to make a move- they do a lot of stuff like hugging and touching in general, but it's not gay, right?? ALSO Maxy's kinda out of character but I don't really care weeE- now onto the storyyyy~))

Wagstaff had been sitting at his desk for ages. For the past month, he had been having the same reoccurring nightmares, which led to him spending an awful lot of time trying to keep himself awake by trying to develop a new invention. he didn't know what he was doing, he had no idea what these dreams meant, or how he was getting them. No matter what he did, he couldn't stop those horrible images from invading his mind. he sighed as he leaned back into his chair, lifting the two front legs off of the ground. Wagstaff looked out the window on the wall opposite of him, the black sky indicating that it was at least 11 pm. he leaned back down on his desk, resting his tired head on one of his hands, the other hand anxiously tapping a pencil against the desk. His eyes were heavy, slowly blinking at the blank paper in front of him. he had not been able to think of another useless invention to keep his mind busy that night.

Just then he heard the slight creaking of the front door. Wagstaff drew his eyes away from his desk to look at the door. The tall, slender figure that entered was none other than Maxwell, Wagstaff's unintentional house-mate. the two had met when Maxwell had found himself stranded in the dense rainforest, not knowing how or when he got there. he was lucky that Wagstaff had been just leaving the ruins, or Maxwell would have very well died that night. ever since then, the pair had been sharing a home in the pig village. it was quite obvious that Wagstaff had developed feelings for Maxwell. he couldn't help himself, Wagstaff found Maxwell to be very attractive, and not to mention helpful. Maxwell helped Wagstaff with more physical tasks, such as mining or gathering wood, which Wagstaff wasn't very good at. what fascinated him the most about Maxwell was his magic. Maxwell had a book, the codex umbra, that allowed him to summon shadowy clones of himself to do manual labor. Wagstaff had asked about this magic many times, but never got an answer. Maxwell is a very secretive person, a master at dodging questions and not revealing anything. something about the mysteries surrounding this man only made Wagstaff more attracted to him. 

Maxwell shut the door behind him, being silent in case Wagstaff was already asleep, which he was not. he set down the pile of logs he was carrying and look to the desk where Wagstaff was seated. 

"Oh, you're still awake?" the tall man questioned, walking over to the desk and leaning over Wagstaff's shoulder to get a glimpse of what he was working on. 

"I can't sleep, I must work on this" Wagstaff lied. yes, he did want to work on this new invention, but this was merely an excuse to not sleep. 

"you've been using the same excuse for the last month, you need to get some rest. this isn't healthy" Maxwell sighed, placing a hand on Wagstaff's shoulder.

"You're one to talk, look at you. it's the middle of the night and you've only just come home" Wagstaff said, a hint of annoyance in his voice.  

"it's only because I got attacked by a colony of bats, I was too far away for the town guards to notice so I had no choice but to deal with them myself" Maxwell replied. Wagstaff looked at Maxwell's pale arms. they were covered in bruises and scratches.

Wagstaff rolled his eyes, returning his focus to the blank blueprint in front of him. Maxwell breathed a heavy sigh, turning away from his friend to go find something to put on his cuts. Wagstaff let Maxwell's words dwell in his head for a moment. he knew that Maxwell was only saying these things because he cared about him. Wagstaff knew that Maxwell was right, his lack of sleep was starting to impact his chance of survival. he blushed slightly at the thought of Maxwell caring about him. just then, Maxwell walked back into the room. he had bandaged his wounds with some cloth bandages. he had also changed his clothes into something more comfortable, a black tank top and a pair of loose, grey pants.