Award Categories

In order to qualify for this competition your entry must belong to one of the following category descriptions

In order to qualify for this competition your entry must belong to one of the following category descriptions. After much research and discussion, we have decided to go with the following categories:

Detective Novels

Crime novels that center around a detective, usually returned or amateur, investigating a murder case fall in this category. The novel follows the detective as they try to crack the case.
Famous works include Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, Hercule Poirot novels by Agatha Christie.

Cozy Mysteries

These novels are crime novels that filter out all mature themes such as violence, profanity etc. The book forces the reader to use their minds and the main character relies on their intellect rather than formal police procedures.
Some famous writers are Dorothy L. Sayers and Elizabeth Daly.

Police Procedural

Mystery novels that feature a member of the police force as the protagonist.
Some famous novelists include P.D. James and Ed McBain.

Caper Stories

Stories told from the criminal's perspective fall in this genre.
The works of Peter O'Donnell and John Boland are some examples.

Spy/Espionage

The protagonist of these kind of novels is either a spy or someone close to them or an entire agency of spies. For a novel to qualify for this genre, the plot should have some form of Espionage.

One example is John Bouchan's 'The Thirty-Nine Steps'.