The crystal chalice- knuxouge/ Shadaze

In kingdom known for its many jewels, there lived a prince. He was a red echidna, by the name of Knuckles. He was fairly happy in his kingdom but wanted to find a girl he could call his queen. One day, despite Knuckles wishes of finding his love himself, his father had chosen a princess for him. It was the fair princess Tikal.

"Hello Prince Knuckles," she greeted with a small smile.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Princess Tikal." Knuckles also greeted, although he wasn't happy about it.

"Thank you for coming princess." Knuckles father, king Locke said.

Tikal smiled brightly "Thank you for having me."

"Of course, I'll leave you two lovebirds alone." Locke said.

Knuckles let out a sigh when his dad was gone. As did Tikal, for she too was not happy with the arranged marriage. "Hey, do you mind if I leave?" Knuckles asked.

"No, I don't mind. Go ahead." Tikal replied with a smile. Knuckles smiled and walked to the door, but Tikal stopped him for a moment. "Wait!" She said to get his attention. He stopped to look at her and she continued "I know you aren't happy about this, and I just want you to know...that I know how you feel. You want to find your true love. I won't stand in your way, for I have already found mine. I thought you would like to know."

Knuckles smiled "Thank you princess." Then he was gone.

Tikal walked to the window, in the direction of home, where her love was. "I miss you so much." She said as if he were there and a tear slide down her cheek. 'I just hope Knuckles can find his love before our time comes.' Tikal thought.

Meanwhile, Knuckles ran to the knights quarters to see his friend. He approached a pink echidna with purple tips on her hair.

"Hey Julie-su." Knuckles said.

She turned to him "Hi Knuckles, how are you?"

"Ok I guess. My dad arranged for me to marry princess Tikal." Knuckles replied dully.

"Oh, and your not happy about it?" Julie-su asked. 'Please say no!'

"No, I'm not. I want to find the girl I love on my own." Knuckles answered.

"Maybe that girl is closer than you think." Julie-su remarked with a smile.

"I don't think so." Knuckles stated.

"What?" Julie-su asked horrified. 'Does he know!"

"Even if I did eventually fall in love with Tikal, she has already said that she loves someone else." Knuckles responded.

"Oh." Julie-su said. 'Thank goodness.' She thought and let out a sigh. "So, any idea where to look for your future wife?"

"No, not really." Knuckles said. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course!" Julie-su squealed. 'Is he really going to do it!"

Knuckles leaned forward and whispered "If my dad comes looking for me, can you cover for me?"

"Sure, I've got you covered." She replied with a smile.

"Thanks, your the best." Knuckles smiled and ran out of the room.

Julie-su sighed 'if only he knew.'

Knuckles ran out of the castle and into the town. He was not wearing his usual princely clothes, so not many would recognize him. He walked around, like he had, many times before. Then suddenly, people began running, and a crowd formed. People were applauding and cheering at something. The prince wanted to know what would cause such a ruckus. So he squeezed through the crowd and that's when he saw her.