prologue

Theodore Decker wasn't the type of person people generally assumed lived in a rundown house, out in The Middle Of Nowhere, Nevada. When he went out, whether to school, or even to get the papers, the boy wore nice outfits and stayed as clean-cut as possible. His glasses stayed clean, hair combed neatly, teeth brushed nearly every morning, afternoon and night. He even polished his shoes. It was just some habits he had picked up from living in Manhattan. There was nothing wrong with looking presentable, right?

Boris Pavilkovsky, on the other hand, was a downright catastrophe. His unruly, jet-black hair stayed in a mop around his head, his clothes seemed to leave a strong smell of alcohol and cigarettes wherever he walked, his under-eye bags were the color of blueberries, and his breath constantly smelled like cheap liquor and every drug in the book. He grew up with the thought that, "Since there's no one else out here, why should I have to look nice? It's just me, my dad, and the neighbors down the street. Who's there to impress?" Beer flowed into his system like water, most of the air he breathed was a form of smoke, and his body was littered with cuts and bruises.

The story goes how you would assume. The put-together boy meets the local druggie, and the two are destined to be lovers. It's written in every single cliché romance story. The main character meets their opposite, they face some struggles, and then they live happily ever after. Well, this story follows that arc, I guess. But this story is a different, more common form of that cliché. This story is about two star-crossed lovers who never got to achieve their happily ever after. And it all starts here. In Civics class. Right about...now.