Eighteen

Natasha was allowed to leave the Infirmary the next day. The doctors examined the wound in her head and leg one more time and gave her a somewhat clean bill of health. They told her not to do a lot of running and to rest as often as she could. 

The first thing she decided to do was find Clint. She had a lot to tell him. Maybe she’d just invite him over for dinner and tell him then. 

She met Coulson on her way to the training room. 

“Hey, Phil,” Natasha greeted him. 

“Hey, Natasha. How do you feel?” 

Natasha shrugged. “My leg’s a little sore, but other than that I’m fine.” She smiled. 

“You look awfully happy.” 

“Oh, do I?” 

“Did Clint bring your report up like he was supposed to?” 

“No, he didn’t. Speaking of Clint, do you know where he is?” 

“Yeah, I think he’s in the shooting range on the top floor. He usually does archery training with Morse about this time.” 

“Okay, thanks.” She turned and walked to the training room. 

Clint fired another shot, hitting the mark perfectly. 

“Wow, you’re such an incredible shot,” Morse complimented. 

Clint smiled. “I’m fair.” 

“Don’t be modest; you’re amazing!” 

Clint kept thinking about the conversation with Fury and how well it had gone. It was nothing short of a miracle that Fury had practically okayed Clint’s relationship with Natasha. Yep, things were certainly looking up. 

“You were great on the mission, too,” Barbara said. 

“Not really. Natasha did all the work.” 

“Not all of it.”

“Okay, most of it.” 

“You seem happier than usual today. What happened?” 

“Nothing, just a talk with Fury went way better than I had expected.” 

Morse shot another arrow. She missed by several inches. Clint noticed she wasn’t holding the bow right. He set his bow down on the floor next to his quiver and moved behind her. 

He placed his right hand over her hand holding the bow, and the other one on her waist. 

“Hold it more like this,” he said, shifting her hand. 

“You know… I never did thank you for saving my life,” Barbara said, her voice soft and sweet. 

“No thanks necessary. I was just doing my job.” 

“Is there any way I can thank you?” 

Clint pulled back from her and thought for a moment. “Nope, nothing.” 

She pretended to straighten the collar of his suit. “Are you sure?” 

Clint was starting to get uncomfortable. He didn’t like the look in her eyes. “Yes, I’m sure.” 

“Alright, then.” 

Before he knew what the heck she was doing, Morse dropped her bow and backed into the wall. She pulled him down and kissed him. He was so shocked he couldn’t move for several seconds. Barbara wrapped her arms around him, pulling him close. She ran her fingers through his hair.