Nine

Barbara looked over at Clint, sitting next to her in the car. “Is there something wrong?” 

“No, why?” 

“You seem a little… stressed.” 

“It’s just the mission, I guess.” 

“It’s Agent Romanoff, isn’t it?” 

Clint didn’t say anything. 

“I’ve seen the way you look at her, as if desperate. Did you two… have a bit of a falling out or something?” 

Clint sighed. “Yeah, we got into a fight. It’s nothing, though; it’ll all blow over soon.” 

“Clint… you can trust me.” 

Clint hesitated. “I… I called her a monster.” 

Morse hissed. “That’s not good. Why did you do that? What did she do?” 

“Nothing. I don’t know what made me say that. I was just… all of a sudden really angry. I didn’t know why.” 

“Is that why she’s not talking to you?” 

“You think?” 

“She does seem pretty upset.” 

“Upset isn’t the word for it. She’s furious. I’m lucky to be alive right now.” 

“I don’t think that’s true. She just… doesn’t know what to do right now, is all.” 

Clint didn’t say anything. 

“I mean, you know she loves you… right?” 

Clint turned to look at Barbara. “What?” 

“She loves you.” 

“How do you know?” 

“It’s obvious. She can’t stop talking about you and she’s always looking at you when you’re in the room.” 

“You’re serious?” 

“Yes, I’m completely serious. I think you should do something. Take her out to dinner or something, show her that you care about her. Remind her how much you love her.” 

“I don’t know about that, Morse. She’s pretty ticked off with me right now… would now really be the best time?” 

“I think now would be the perfect time.” 

Clint thought for a moment. He had nothing to lose. “Alright, I’ll ask her. You sure you don’t mind being alone for a couple hours?” 

“Of course not, Clint. Don’t worry about me. I think Agent Romanoff’s more important anyway.” 

Clint had to agree with her there. They finished the patrol of the city as quickly as possible and headed back to the hotel. 

Natasha wiped a tear from her cheek. She stood up and started pacing the room. She was tired of struggling with her emotions. She was done with fighting herself so relentlessly. 

She wanted to make up with Clint and forgive him, but her pride wouldn’t let her. She was far too proud to admit she was wrong. And admitting that she loved him? Forget it. 

She would let him come to her one more time. She would wait for him to try once again to make up with her. That would be best. 

But then it would look like she was forgiving him because he badgered her. It would make her seem like she was caving under his affection and pleading. That was not her intent. Perhaps it would be better to forgive him on her own terms. At least then she wouldn’t look too weak.