Chapter 1: Poison & Wine

• Dedicated to Lucy Hale ♡

"Can I sit down?" Officer Garrett asks.

"Y-yeah, sure," I say, trying not to sound guilty.

He sits down on my couch, and sees the paper bags, Aria and I used to take that picture.

I'm scared. Fuck, am I scared.

"I've heard you have a...well, a pretty intimate relationship to one of your students."

I take a deep breath. "Oh, really? Where did you hear that?"

Noel. I bet it was Noel.

"The police got an anonymous hint," he says, making eye contact with me.

I sigh. "I am sure this is just a joke."

"Mr. Fitz. We both know that Aria and you are much closer than students and teachers usually are."

I shake my head. "Officer, I can guarantee you that there is nothing-"

He cuts me off, "You can't deny that. You know, lying to the police is in fact a crime."

"I am not-"

"Listen, you won't be able to hide that forever. Even if I believe you know, some day it'll come out."

I sigh. "Alright. Alright, it is true. Would you...would you just please let me talk to Aria before you arrest me?"

"Arrest you? I'm not going to arrest you," he says, which is definitely not what I expected.

I raise an eyebrow. "You're not? But...why?"

"I am not that stupid. I know if I do, if I tell anybody about this, you won't keep your mouth shut about that other thing."

That other thing. Right. If I told anyone about that incident a couple of weeks ago, he'd most definitely lose his job.

And he would lose it for good. Never being a cop again.

I can't help but smile. "Exactly. That's exactly what I would do."

"So, is this a deal? You'll keep my secret, I'll keep yours? We just forget about the things that happened?"

I nod. "I think that's a good deal."

"Well, then...I think we're done here then," he says, relief evident in his voice.

He stands up and walks to the door. Before he leaves, he turns around once again.

"I just want you to know, that next time I hear about this...thing, I will do what I have to do."

"I understand," I say, nodding, and Garrett leaves.

I immediately call Aria, knowing she's gonna be totally freaked out when she sees my messages from before, but she doesn't pick up.

I try a few times. Nothing. She's probably just...I don't know. She probably just does things girls her age do.

Girls her age...right. I can't forget she's so much younger than I am.

It's easy to forget when I'm with her. She understands me, she knows me so well.

She's not like the other sixteen year old girls I know.

It's not like I know many, but...well, I think she's different.

However, since she doesn't pick up, I decide to go to bed.

*°*°*°*°* *°*°*°*°* *°*°*°*°* *°*°*°*°* *°*°*°*°*

A few hours later, I'm woken up by someone knocking at my door.