X | The Hall of Knights

MERRILYN

"Shield of Honor, Protector of Peace, the Knights of Amor. I believe most of you have heard about the rumor about an undead knight had attacked the Eastern Gate."

In a deep but yet graceful voice, the King stood up from his majestic seat and caught every man's ear in the King's Chamber. The chattering stopped. 

Gazing across the chamber, the scenery was filled with armored men. Lord Lennin with his wall guardians, Sevi Merlin with Sevi Sagon, the royal guards and the Sword, the Damask twins celebrating their knighthood, Kenneth alone at a side trying to keep his low profile and Flurkin standing next to the princess. As the quietness infected the chamber, Flurkin's conversation with Marylyn was abruptly interrupted by the immediate silence.

Ensuring that every knight in the room was focused on his limelight, Myras proceeded his speech with a different tone of voice. "As you know, our very kingdom had always maintained this stagnant relationship with our neighbor bricks, Alora. As far as I'm concerned, the lasting peace between us may end."

Worry manifested on the face of every men in the chamber as they whispered among themselves. Mary, trying her luck to test the Sword's knowledge about the announcement from the King, asked Flurkin, "Is the Alorian knight a sign of war?"

"I do not know, my princess. You know how things work around here, the King only tells Lurke or his muted knight about his plans," Flurkin uttered nonchalantly.

"But you're the Sword, Sevi." Mary, slightly disappointed with the Sevi, gave him a dispirited look. "I'm guessing that the kid of yours costed you your trust towards the throne."

Flurkin did not reply. His sight switched from Mary's little face to the King's.

"I suspect that the Alorians are planning on a invasion," the King muttered with a dark voice. The hush of the chamber was soon interrupted with concerns.

"Your Majesty, the Alorians have no reason to attack us. They have been eating their Elven fruits and living within their crystal walls for centuries. What good will they have if they attack us? Do they intend to steal our breads and apple pies?" The Shield, Sagon Dane voiced out against his King. 

Sagon finished his objection with plump right hand placing down his wine. With dozens of eyes on him, it was obvious that he was the fattest knight in the chamber. Fat, with a chubby reddened cheek, the words he spoke was carrying immense power. Having the ability to command hundreds of royal guards, Sagon had always been concerned by the clans and the bandits. It was centuries ago since the last Alorian soldier came with bloodshed.

The old Sevi, Lurke responded to the Shield, "We cannot be sure. Millions of things have changed over the course of my lifetime, Sagon. People change over time. The peace that Carnelians agreed may not be as promised." The Mind, Sevi Lurke was standing next to His Majesty, and as usual, holding a journal in his wrinkly old hands. 

"Your Majesty," another voice joined their conversation. It was Merlin's. "As far as I know, Kane sent his only daughter to the Kingdom of Amor. I suppose that he intends to maintain the peace between us. Unless... he is to have a war to rescue his lovely daughter princess." The Spine joked in a peculiar manner as he adjusted his garments. Twitching his head from left to right casually, the knights around almost forgot that he was talking to the King.

A croaky voice responded to his words. "Watch your words, Merlin. Are you implying that we kidnapped his daughter? It was the Queen's choice to stay here. You have no place to judge her," Lurke warned with a disturbed look on his face. Like a grandfather lecturing his grandson, his words seemed to be nothing but nagging to the Spine. The old Sevi was never fond of Merlin's attitude since his appointment as the Spine.