23

Gale's POV

"Once again we have succeeded." My father announces as all of our gang members stand in the big ballroom. Jack and Lily stand beside me, and Mila and my brother are beside my father. "I want to thank everyone who risked their lives to defeat our enemy and helped us kill those French bastards once and for all."

The whole room cheers loudly, although most of them are still hurting because of our fallen friends. The French lost more than us, but we still lost a lot. I know I should have walked off when I did, especially since I had a bad feeling about the whole mission.

"I also want to thank the Pierce gang and I promise you that you will all return home this week. Your leader is arriving today to visit his daughter." He declares and I'm reminded that I need to go check on her. He dismisses everyone so I quickly walk over to my mother and brother. I haven't spoken to them since we got back.

"Hello mama." I speak softly. She stares at me as if she is going to cry, and then pulls me into a tight hug. She kisses me on the head and I roll my eyes at how dramatic she is. I glance over her shoulder, Leon is smiling at me genuinely. One thing I learnt about going on that mission is that I really need to spend more time with my mother and little brother.

"God, I was so worried. When your father told me that they lost all connection to you when you killed everyone in that safehouse, I was so scared. Then they told me loads of people got killed and.." She rambles on. My mother is too caring for her own good.

"Mama, stop. I'm right here and I'm fine." I reassure her, and she nods in agreement before giving me a sad smile and hugs me again. Once she finally releases me, I ruffle up Leon's hair but he slaps my hand away.

"You're such a dick. I wouldn't' have missed you at all if you died." Leon proclaims, a deep scowl on his small face. I roll my eyes and chuckle because we both know that isn't true at all.

"Yeah, you would. I bet you would cry every single day and do that weird thing where you talk to a grave although it's just a piece of stone." I tease, smirking at him, and he rolls his eyes and shoves my chest.

"No I wouldn't. Say hi to Bella for me." Leon states and I'm reminded again to go see her. I nod before parting with him again and begin to walk back upstairs, shaking some of the members hands on the way.

I go into the hospital wing of the house that has two rooms with medical equipment inside and hospital beds. Bella is currently occupying one of them . Her diamond eyes are still shut, and her body is still in the same position as it was in a few hours ago, when we had brought her into the house.

Gabriel, Mark and Lily are having a talk about Christmas, which is ridiculous considering it is August, and they sit beside her bed. They glance up when I enter the room, but return back to the conversation almost immediately.

I stroll over to Bella quietly, and I brush a hair out of her face gently. Gabriel stands up and walks over to where I'm standing beside Bella. "She was awake earlier. She was asking for you."

My heart twists at his words. I wish I was here earlier. It is unfair how this precious women had to endure so much pain. I look over her body, and there are cuts all over her arms and bruises on her face. I can't look at her back without wanting to punch something.

"You have to be careful, Gale." Gabriel begins to tell me and I roll my eyes, too exhausted for this conversation. Is he still fucking talking? He can either be a loyal friend or incredibly annoying. "In a few days you will have to give her up and I feel like whatever happens, this situation will end in heartbreak. I honestly think it's stupid you two ever got involved."