Chapter 7: Ella's Senior Year Bucket List

I'm an awkward person. For this exact reason you would've assumed that I'd be able to handle awkward situations, or at least be a little more accustomed to them. Well, if you have assumed this then you are very much wrong.

The silence in the air was palpable. Neither Luke nor I had spoken a word in the ten minutes we'd already been inside his car, apart from when I told him my address, and the awkwardness was increasing rapidly.

I glanced over at him.

The sun was setting and as the fading sunlight streamed through Luke's car window it illuminated his already tanned skinned, making his cheekbones look even more prominent.

Apart from his damp hair there was no part of him that gave away the fact that he'd just jumped into the ocean and saved a plastic doll. He'd changed into some dry clothes and after apologizing to his boat staff (yes, he had actual people that worked on his boat) for the inconvenience we decided it was time we all headed home.

"Remind me again why Austin couldn't drive me home himself?" I finally asked, breaking the silence.

"Why? Can't survive without lover boy?" Luke asked, in a tone which was meant to be mocking but it came out surprisingly harsh.

"No," I mumbled, slightly taken aback. "I was just wondering."

He sighed and loosened his grip on the steering wheel. "Austin and Chase live on the opposite side of town. You live closer to me so it just seemed more practical for Georgia and Alice to go with them and you to come with me," Luke explained.

"Oh," I nodded, not quite sure what else to say.

We fell back into the awkward silence and I leaned back in my seat, letting my eyes flutter shut as a wave of drowsiness hit me. It was only Tuesday, but it felt like I'd just survived a week of trauma. Handling Cactus, Luke and Austin at the same time was far more exhausting than it appeared to be.

"Ella?" I heard Luke say, distantly, a few minutes later. "You awake?"

"Mmm?" I murmured, opening one eye so I could look at him.

"We're here."

I sat up slowly and looked outside the window, realizing that he was parked outside my house.

"Oh," I mumbled, sitting up. "Um, thanks for the ride."

I opened the door and climbed out of his car, turning around and walking towards my house.

I'd only taken a few steps forward when I heard Luke's car door slam shut behind me and then he appeared next to me.

"What are you doing?" I asked with a frown as he followed me to my house.

"I need to pee," Luke said, as if it was obvious.

"Great," I said, sarcastically, hoping he would take the hint and leave.

"I know," he responded, clearly thinking I was being serious.

When I finally opened the door and stepped inside I was surprised to find that all the lights were off and there seemed to be no sign of any of my family. "Mom? Dad?" I called in confusion. "Sam?"

There was no response and I concluded that there was probably nobody home.

An uneasy feeling settled in the pit of my stomach. I hated being home alone, especially after dark.

I know I know, I'm seventeen for God's sake why was I scared of something this stupid? Truthfully, I really didn't know. What I did know, however, was that I suddenly did not want Luke to go.