Chapter 1

"This world is full of magic and whimsy; untold secrets and mysteries to solve. And the human race has barely scratched the surface of what lies beneath".

1

A young girl stood at a window, her finger tips placed gently on the wooden frame as she gazed at the view in front of her through the glass pane; large mountains, covered in a dense forest and topped off with snowy peaks, stretched above the cirrus clouds. Her gaze fell from the beautiful backdrop of nature to a slim, wooden photo frame placed on a chest of draws to the left of her.

Moving to the framed image, she took it into her hands. Her royal blue eyes examining the picture she held; the photo showed a little girl standing beside dwarf of a man. An over-sized fisherman's hat sat on the crown of his head, shadowing his eyes from view. A grey, bushy moustache rested under his circular nose. Donning tattered overalls and a white shirt; his right hand, firmly grasping an oak walking stick, holding her hand in the other. Her grandfather had always looked somewhat like a fairy tale garden gnome.

"It's been months since I've lost my memories. You said I would remember them in due time, thought I still have no idea who I am" the girl declared aiming her comment at the old man in the frame.

Her eyes studied the picture more; thumb gliding over the glass, pausing at the young child. "Was I always so happy?" she asked herself, looking at the large smile plastered on her younger self.

Suddenly a sound of a closing door brought her from her thoughts. replacing the frame, she turned to the noise. Across the room stood the old gnome looking man from the picture, a large camping bag placed on his hunched back.

"Is everything in order for your trip, grandfather?" the girl asked the man, her voice soft and fragile like a fawn without its doe.

He wriggled the enormous rucksack on his spine, its large frame towering over his tiny stature. "Indeed, I think I am ready to take my leave now, Charlotte" the elderly man informed her.

She nodded and followed her grandfather to the front door of their abode.

Helping him open the door, the stunted man moved to the veranda of the apartment block. He turned to his granddaughter to give his farewells.

The young girl, Charlotte, stood at the opened front door talking to a small, elderly man. "Are you sure you have everything you need? Maybe I can carry your bag to the train station for you?" she suggested, surprised that he could carry such an object on his body without stumbling.

The little man huffed. "Of course, my dear, please hush your worry".

The girl nodded. "Sorry".

The man wiggled the large rucksack that sat on his back. "I shall be going now. Please take care of yourself" He wiggled his bushy moustache as if he was trying to itch his nose. "Oh, and please refrain from entering my bedroom".

She nodded again and waved goodbye to her grandfather as he shifted wearily down the roofed terrace. "Please be safe grandfather! And have a good trip".

Then he turned back to the girl, remembering there was something he was supposed to tell her. He called out to her as she closed the front door. "Charlotte? If you receive a visitor during my time away, please give them your best hospitality".

Hearing the small man call out to her, Charlotte looked out the front door again; nodding to his last sentence, she gave him one last wave goodbye. She then turned back into the small apartment and closed the door behind her. Leaning her back against the door, she let out a breath; how long would he be gone this time?