A Meeting Pt. 2

"What am I doing here?"

Stark checks his watch. "You can thank me later, but stand right there." He points to the middle of the room.

"Why?"
"Because. And if everything goes to hell I can jump in and give him some good news."

"Who?"
"I'll be in the far right corner. If I feel the tension rise too much, I'll intervene hopefully before stuff gets worse. Now, he'll be here in ten minutes so what are you going to say?"
"What do you mean, 'what am I going to say?' I don't even know who's coming."
"Bruce. Bruce is coming in, now, nine minutes."

"What the hell? He is going to immediately walk out! This isn't going to work, Stark."

"He can't leave. I got Rogers in on it. I didn't tell him what happened, but I just told him you and Bruce need to confront something. Then I asked if he would close and guard the door once Bruce enters."

"What is he decides not to say anything. Nothing at all."

"Well, I don't know and knowing Bruce, that might happen."

"Great."
Tony shrugs. "What do ya want me to say? Everything's gonna be fine? Because I can tell you this, everything may not be fine. Just depends on how you handle this. Got it?"

Natasha nods.

"Great because you can't go back now." Tony checks his watch. "He'll be here in three minutes. Think about what you're going to say while I go sit in a dark corner."

"Ready, Banner?" Natasha hears Steve ask Bruce.
"I guess. Is Tony in there?" She hears him reply.
Steve nods. "Head on in. And act surprised. I don't need Stark bothering me about this for the next year."
Next thing she knows she is face to face with Bruce.

"Hi," she mutters.

Bruce turns around and watches Steve quickly shut the door.

"Bruce."

He doesn't turn around.

"Please, Bruce."

He faces her.

"Thank you."

Bruce nods and puts his glasses on. Natasha takes a step closer and Bruce responds by taking a step back.

"I just needed to talk to you. I didn't ask Tony to do this but it did need to happen."

Bruce stares at her in silence.

"I just want to tell you that I know what I did was wrong. I want to tell you that there has never been as painful as this experience. No gunshot, no stab, nothing has ever hurt me as much as this."

Bruce looks at the floor.

"Please say something, Bruce."

"Something," Bruce mumbles just loud enough for her to hear.

"Fine. Just know that I have tried my hardest to let you know I'm sorry. I've tried talking to you. I've tried being there for you. It's come to the point where all I can do is feel like a monster. This has made me feel like I committed murder or- or- I don't even know how to explain how I feel anymore." Natasha can feel tears run down her cheeks.

Bruce doesn't move.

Finally, Natasha breaks. "Look at me, Bruce! I need you to see me!"

His head darts up at the sudden sound of her voice breaking.

"I despise myself for what I let happen. I despise myself for how I've handled it. But no matter what I did, I do not deserve to not know how you feel!" Soon a river of tears flow down her face. "Do you hear me? You have the right to say nothing but I do deserve to know. I need to know how you feel because there is nothing I can do if you don't tell me! Do you understand?"
Bruce nods.