Love Not Lost On Me

Previously...on the saga of John & Millie, the other Jillie:

"Tell me this isn't the end..."

"John, I had a great time. I don't think I've had this much fun in a long time and I can assure you, this isn't the last you'll see of me."

"But how do you know, Millie?"

"John, I need you to trust me," she said with a lot of eye contact and a little smile that made me melt.

"*kisses cheek* Goodbye, John," she said, getting up and walking out the door.

Oh, here come the waterworks, I thought to myself, and sure enough, I was right. She goodbye Miked me and there was no coming back from that.

I walked down the street, sulking. I don't even remember or know how I made it home that night. It was all a blur. I think I came home in even worse shape than when I had left it, but then I sat myself down, grabbed a pen and a journal, and got writing. I wrote and wrote until the words started to go fuzzy. I wanted to make sure I recorded every detail of that night so that I could cherish it forever for the days to come. And I went to sleep that night with the biggest smile on my face. The best way I can describe the way I felt was like when you reach the end of Stranger Things 3 and you don't know whether to cry, put your fist through the wall, or smile and lose yourself in all of those wonderful moments leading up to the bittersweet ending. The only difference was this wasn't the end. This was just the beginning.

[Possible Ending #2]

"John, I don't know if you remember me. Everyone else seems to have forgotten, but this is Millie Bobby Brown, you know, your favorite actress who plays Eleven in Stranger Things? The one who took you out on a date on your birthday? If I'm still in that head of yours, if you still remember who I am, please come find me at this address that I'm about to text you. I just...I need someone to talk to, face-to-face. You put me at ease and make me feel so safe and comfortable and I really need that right now. I'm just so alone in this world. I don't know how to not be a celebrity and have my work recognized. On the chance that you don't remember, you can just delete this message and go about with your day, but I really hope that you do."

That message. Those words. They ran through my head on a loop.

I never answered the phone if I didn't recognize the number. I had made that mistake one too many times, getting sucked into the personal lives of people who called my number thinking I was someone they knew, but of course, the one time I don't answer the phone, Millie calls! I had given her my number for emergencies, that way she didn't have to give away any personal information, but she would have mine if she ever needed or wanted it.

Now, I know, you're probably a little confused by the message she left, probably wondering why she was reminding me of who she was, concerned that I wouldn't remember her along with everyone else in the world. Well, you know that new movie "Yesterday," the one where everyone in the world forgets who The Beatles and Coke and other basic pop culture things are during a global blackout, all except for aspiring musician Jack Malik and a couple of other people? That same thing happened to me. The only difference was that Millie was cursed with the memory of who she used to be...What she didn't realize was what a blessing in disguise that can be, as opposed to not knowing your place in the world, like me.

The same thing happened to me. I never thought it could, I didn't even think it was remotely possible, but sure enough, it happened. In my case, I had been at the lowest of the low, the most depressed I had ever been, ever since we said our goodbyes. And these bad thoughts, as I call them, crept into my mind and slowly latched on, festering more and more, just like the Shadow Monster when he flayed Will. It got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore, where it was too much to handle, and so I passed out, just like I did at Coney Island. And that was when it happened, when the world blacked out just as I myself did. It was then that Millie Bobby Brown, Stranger Things, and other widely known pop culture phenomena were wiped clean from the majority of our minds, all except for mine. I remembered and it pained me to see Millie in this state, but deep down, I knew that this was my chance and there was no holding back now.