Chapter 1

Chapter One

An ebony black-furred fox appeared before her, speaking in a honeyed tone that pissed her off every time he chanted the words, "Why don't you wake up?" with crimson eyes half-open in evident arrogance.

The sylveon grew more stressed every time he chanted the phrase, and, for some reason, seemed to cause ghostly shadows lunging towards her. With teary eyes, she tried to pull herself away, but her paws were firmly planted on the ground, paralyzed with fear.

But before the blobs of dark violet engulfed her, she saw the fox cackle at her sadistically, uttering weakly:

"...wake up."

~•~
Her sky blue eyes widened like stretched almonds, mouth gaped as she caught more air, panting.

"What happened," she breathed, shocked by the sudden fruitily-voiced wake-up call.

She slowly turned her gaze to the thin bed-sheet she was clutching so mercilessly. She obviously didn't sleep well, judging from its wrinkles and a small tear on the blanket.

"Well, miss, it looked like you needed some help."

The sylveon pulled down the blankets, to be greeted by a dragon-like pokemon.

Three curved, black-furred wings arched on both of what seemed to be shoulders, as she noticed that an arm that fur protected was directly below those wings.

What bloomed out at the end of each arm was flower-like fur showcasing a...head? Well, whatever it was called, she saw that both of them seemed to smile at her with dead black eyes.

On its chest, where its sea of fur ended, was a very round blue stomach that was lined with two pink stripes on it, as if it wore a type of suspendersand supported the almond satchel that was lying on it. Two stubby and soft blue feet clumsily hovered inches above the floor, like a newborn trying to plant its feet during its first steps.

The largest head was above its black-furred neck with the same flower pattern its arms had, except a beige ascot sat on it, limiting the furs around its head to spread. And instead of mere black eyes, it had a pair of fuchsia pupils staring at her intently. The warm smile curved in his jaws seemed genuine enough, though she covered her appreciation for it with a disappointed frown.

"Help? Don't be sexist," she scoffed.

"Sexist? Oh no no, miss! I don't mean it that way," the dragon's cheeks grew a light shade of red, his two head-hands shielding his face as he shook them, quickly dismissing the idea. "They ganged up on you, y'know."
When the sylveon gave a quizzical expression, he added, "That umbreon and espeon, I mean."

The dragon's jaws grew into an upset frown, teeth gritting as he bitterly retold the memory. "I was there in the nick of time, lucky you. Dark Pulse was a good move to learn at the time. Such bastards they were!"

The sylveon's eyes widened, suddenly busying herself at her deep realm of thought. The umbreon she refused to marry, the so-called "espeon" that ganged up with him just so she wouldn't refuse -- in this case, however, she did the opposite. After a split second, she regretted the outpour of memories, because it stung like a beedrill to remember that "bastard's" own face.

She grit her teeth.

What happened to "think before you act?" And being careful with marriage? She followed the manual perfectly. What small detail did she leave out? Was the manual titled "How to Make Things Worse"? It was all unorthodox to her, that's for sure.

A voice echoed, causing her to shake her head.

"Oh, I'm sorry, miss. I suppose you were waiting for me to introduce myself." The dragon scratched his head with his head (the sylveon decided to ignore his weird anatomy from this point on), a nervous laugh escaping his jaws.

"The name's Ryo. Ryo, the Hydreigon."

The so-called Ryo extended his brain-dead head towards the upset fairy type, who tried to smile underneath all her stress for the "hydreigon" not to notice.

"M-Mayuri, sir." She replied, facade slightly fading. She suddenly found the creaky floorboard interesting, as she discreetly decided whether or not to return his friendly "headshake".

The fact that she accepted - or, rather, was forced to accept - the umbreon's attempt to get them past the friend zone with each other made her cautious. Would this friendly hydreigon possibly take advantage of her as well? His eyes looked so willing that it could likely be otherwise.

His gaze made her faintly lost, and she could've sworn that she almost drooled.

"Ah, to hell with it."

Mayuri mentally snapped, shook willingly, and her quavering, unsure smile is now a genuine beam. Answering her problem now probably won't help, especially since Ryo seemed too...she couldn't put her paw on it, but, it was obviously something not to be ignored. It'd branch out to other puzzling questions, and she wasn't in a good state to have a screeching headache.

"And besides...

...This wasn't marriage anyway. Just a simple, meaningless handshake."

Or so she thought.

~•~

The forest stirred, as a few taillows and fletchlings soared freely in search of food.

It caused a twin tail to nudge slightly, and a groan to escape the espeon's jaw.

She felt like her insides were swelling, apparently a pain from a very likely attack still in effect.

"Took you long enough."

The psychic eeveelution quickly stood up on all fours, upon hearing that honeyed voice she'd love to have on replay on her iPod. She jerked her head in the voice's direction, finding an annoyed umbreon stand at the far end, eyes half-open in both annoyance and mild amusement.

"I'm sorry, Kira, sir," the espeon bowed, almond eyes glued to the floor in guilt. "That hydreigon was a swift attacker" -she gestured at the dirt and wounds on her chest of fur- "it knocked me out."

A weak gust nudged the so-called Kira slightly, as if pressuring him to decide what else to say.

"My dear, dear, Akira, I had predicted something like this. Though..." He spun around, now facing the espeon with a straight face. "...I didn't expect my dear Mayuri would catch the Red Gyarados." he chuckled, mildly amused.

Akira gave a nervous laugh. ("LookslikeI'vecaughtonemyself," she whispered, a tint of light pink sitting in her cheeks.)

"Well, sir, what's your last resort option then?"

Kira let an are-you-kidding-me "ha" escape his jaw.

"Something..."

The umbreon paused, thinking of some cliché phrase.

"...excellent."

And for the rest of the morning, a deep-voiced cackle echoed throughout the woods.

A/N: Stereotypes. Stereotypes everywhere.