Chapter Twenty-One. Apart.

I made my way back to my corridor, barely making any noise as I strode to my room. Gently opening the door, I practically flopped onto my bed, looking up at the ceiling. I gazed around the white walls that were painted with the moon light shinning through the window. It had been a long time since I had felt this lost.

A gentle tap on my door had my gaze pulling to the threshold and I saw Damien standing there. He came in to my room and walked over to the bed, pulling my covers to the side and slipping in with me. 

"Hey." I whispered, returning my gaze to the ceiling. 

"Hey."  He whispered just as softly. "Where have you been?"

"At the fountain, ripping up the grass." I murmured, closing my eyes.

"I see." He said. I heard him rustling next to me and felt the bed shift as he readjusted himself. "Lost in thought?"

"Do you remember when we were put on different assault ships during World War II?" I asked instead, turning my head to face him. 

He thought for a moment, little lines appearing over his forehead. "Yes. You were heading for Omaha and I was heading for Sword." 

"That was the first time we had ever been apart in battle." I whispered, looking over the planes of my twin's face. It had always been a novelty, not only to me, but others how much we looked alike. Fraternal twins that were identical is not something that  is common. In fact, it shouldn't have happened at all. "The first time we had ever been apart ever, in all honesty." 

"Why are you thinking of such things?" He inquired, gazing at me.

"Just thinking of our lives. What we could have made them, what we have become."

"How we would have turned out if the war didn't happen?" Damien asked, curiousity laced in his voice.

I thought for a moment and said, "I would have tried to have become a teacher and you... You would have been a blacksmith."

"Why do I get the sweaty, hard work?" Damien asked, looking over at me.

I glowered. "And being a teacher isn't hard work?"

"Compared to blacksmith, no." Damien said, a smile pulling at his lips.

"Whatever. We would have had typical jobs, normal families with children, perhaps even grandchildren. We would have grown old, and experienced life like everyone else. And like everyone else... We would have died." I said, rolling my eyes back to the ceiling. "We could leave, you know. We don't have to stay here. We could pack all of our things up and never come back."

Damien sighed next to me. "We could, yes. But we have a place to stay, food to eat, people to be around... It's a nice change."

"They'll be coming for us soon. You know that, right?" I whispered, glancing over at him. "We've never been able to get far from them."

"I know. But it wouldn't hurt to stay a little longer. We may have a few more weeks before they realize we are back in the country."

"They've had over six months to find us." I said, turning my head to him. "With that in mind, why haven't they approached? Attacked? Anything? Not even a lousy postcard."

"Maybe they forgot." Damien said, shrugging his shoulders.

I glowered. "If you spent millions of dollars on research and experiments on something, would you just up and forget about it?

 Damien frowned. "No... No, I wouldn't."

"Exactly." I sighed.

Damien looked at me for a moment, his blue eyes searching mine. "Have you ever wondered why this happened to us?"

I laughed a little at his question. "Every day. Every day for over a hundred years."

Damien leaned his head back against my pillow and caught my hand with his. "It's terrible to think like this but... everyone who knew us, Jo... is gone. We are truly and utterly alone in this world."

"We've always been alone, twin." I said, squeezing his hand.

"I know, but it hit home this time just how alone we really are." Damien whispered, his blue eyes glistening a little.

"We'll be okay, Dame. Always have been. We were made to survive and survive we have, and will continue to do." I said quietly, trying to soothe his worries.

"You always know what to say and do. Are you sure you're not the older one?" He teased, glancing at me.

I laughed and said, "Technically, I am older in this lifestyle, but you were born first."

Damien smiled and I watched as it slowly slipped from his face. He brought his blue eyes up to mine and asked, "How long do you think we have, sister?"

I pursed my lips and thought to myself for a moment. "I... really don't know. A month, perhaps? Maybe not even that."

I looked closely at his face, the one that has comforted me for years and years and asked a question that has been weighing on my mind for over a century. "Do you hate me for what I did to you?"

He looked shocked and adamantly said, "No! No, of course not, why would I? You are my sister and I love you. I never want to be without you."

He tightened his grasp on my hand as he smirked. "Dying really wasn't my style anyway. Who would have comforted the ladies at my funeral? You?" He asked, wiggling his eyebrows ridiculously.

I let out a tiny laugh and rolled over to face him fully. "I didn't ask you though. I just... did it. Do you remember that?"

"I remember being stabbed with perfect, painful clarity." Damien winced, rubbing his chest delicately. "But as for the whole fangs and blood exchange, not even a hazy thought."

I felt sleep pulling at the edges of my conscious mind. I yawned, effectively alerting Damien to my fatigue. He looked at me and grinned, looping an arm over my waist and pulling me into his chest.

"Sleep, dear sister, and tomorrow we shall conquer the world."

"You're an idiot, you know?" I mumbled, tugging the covers up.

"Keep in mind our DNA is virtually the same." He whispered, kissing me on the forehead.

I smiled and swallowed my harsh retort, deciding to enjoy the embrace of my brother. I heard him sigh and his breathing slowly even out, signaling he had drifted off. A light snore shortly later confirmed such a thought. I chuckled lightly and sighed, burrowing myself deeper into the crevice between Damiens' neck and my pillow.

I was just drifting off, slowly falling under the darkness of sleep when I heard it.

The screams.