Eleven.

We sit on the ground, our backs against a large tree trunk. I lean my head on his shoulder as he plays with the little tassels of extra fabric on my ripped jeans. I can't believe I'm sitting here with him. With everything that happened up until this point, the fact that he still wanted to come out here and show me this makes me feel loved. I rub my cheek against his leather jacket shoulder.

"How do you feel about everything that's going on?" I ask, genuinely wondering where he stands.

"with the letter?" he questions. I nod

"Well, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared." He starts, "I mean, it is a bit terrifying to know that at any moment any of us could be kidnapped."

"You don't seem very scared." I point out, gesturing to where we're sitting right now. If he was completely on edge about the situation, he wouldn't have left the house.

"But," he continues "I also sort of understand what they're saying."

"What!?" I say, pulling my head off his shoulder and staring him in the eyes, suddenly concerned.

"It's just, we're given these abilities for a reason. We can't just sit around the house all day practicing them for Candy's analysis. If we are able, we should use it to defend our country." He explains. I swallow, no ounce of concern leaving my heart.

"Yes, I agree that the way they're handling this is rather awful, but they're right in saying that we should use our gifts for something beneficial." He continues.

I take a deep breath, studying his ashy grey eyes. What I see is determination and carefulness hidden within.

"Just promise me this." I say, not letting my gaze waver from his irises. "That no matter what happens, you will not leave." I can't deal with that again. Not after losing my parents. If he leaves too, then it will be just be and my brother again, that ripped out part of my heart never to be filled again.

He reaches out a hand to caress my cheek. "I will never leave you Snippy."

I take a deep breath, then rest my head once again on his shoulder.

We sit there for a minute more before Cedar stands up, dusting off his jeans.

"Alright." He says, holding out his hands to pull me up. The gesture reminding me of yesterday on the landing. "Let's head back now."

I groan, taking his hands. "Do we have to?"

We begin to walk back, his arm over my shoulder.

"Yeah," he says, "They'll worry if we stay out any longer. It's already almost noon." He points to the sun, which is right above us.

"Argh." I say in reply.

♢⚿♢

"There you two are!" Aunt Candy says, the moment we walk through the door. "We're going to head out to the marketplace for a bit, so grab your coats." She instructs. I can see the other kids looking at us with suspicious glances. Peter, though, just smirks and rolls his eyes, already having put together what's going on. Make a playful face at him, punching him in the arm on the way up the stairs to grab my jacket.

I race into my room and grab my creme colored, cable knit, cardigan out of the closet then quickly join the group outside. I find everyone gathered around Aunt Candy's white van. "Hop in everyone!" She says, unlocking the doors with a click. "Candy, are you sure we should be doing this?" Brooke asks, looking a bit worried. "I mean, didn't the letter say that they'd 'steal' us if we didn't cooperate?" Everyone looks to Aunt Candy, the same question in mind. "Nonsense. They're just trying to scare us!" She says as we all climb into the van. "We're going to show them that we won't be struck down by their empty threats." She starts the car and backs out of the driveway. Everyone in this car knows they're not empty threats. Aunt Candy's just trying to convince herself otherwise, though I'm not sure why.