♢⚿♢ SIX YEARS LATER ♢⚿♢

I lace up my boots, tying the black laces tightly, biting my lip as I do so. I've been training for this for six years, yet I still feel rather unprepared.

"You're going to do great!" Peter had told me earlier this morning. " Just remember why you're doing this."

How could I forget?

I shake myself out, trying to release any nerves that still jitter. Today's a big day! Today I finally overcome my fears once and for all!

"Ms.Holft?" A large man dressed in all black asks.

"Present!" I announce with a smile. I'm the only one in the room, but I'm in an anxious mood.

"They're ready for you." the bodyguard tells me.

"Excellent!" I say, pulling my yellow jacket on, taking time to make sure my necklace isn't hidden in my shirt. It's important. Especially today.

The bodyguard leads me through a warehouse, slightly different than the one I remember, but still the same one nonetheless. He gets to a steel door with a keypad to the right of it, typing in a code covertly. I smile at the lack of badges and scanners. Many things changed around here after I left... as was expected... and still is expected. After all, I'm still changing it.

He leads me down a hallway to the left of the door from the warehouse. I remember every single one of these doors, though many of the rooms are vacant now. We turn right at the end of the hallway. I bite my lip. Here we go.

"I'll enter the code for you and come in if you'd like." the bodyguard offers.

"Thank you, and I think I'll be fine on my own." My hand immediately flies to my half of a compass necklace. We stop in front of another steel door with the word Elite engraved in fancy lettering. He types in the code to the (obviously new) keypad, holding the door open to me. His facial expression neutral the entire time.

This room-- this room hasn't changed a bit. Still the same bunks, still the same dark lighting, still the same memories.

"Attention!" I shout down the room

I see many people scurry to stand at the end of their bunks. There are quite a few more kids here than there were before... I stand taller, forcing confidence into my steps.

"I am Ms. Holft. You should address me as such... unless of course I allow you to do otherwise." I see a few faces shift with annoyance and mocking smirks as I begin to walk slowly down the hallway. "I am your new trainer, but I am not the only change you will see around here. From now on things will be more fair, more humane. You may not be exactly human, but you gosh darn should be treated like living beings descended of the ape." I hear a few snickers from some of the kids, I smile too.

"Ms. Holft?" I hear a younger girl says, holding her hand up shyly.

"Yes Ma'am."

"Why do you look so familiar?"

Some kids laugh at this comment, assuming it ridiculous, while others listen intently, genuinely curious as to why I'm a familiar face.

"Funny you ask that." I say, continuing to slowly walk down the room. As I do, my eyes travel amongst the ranks, searching. "I was a 'trainee' here too at one point."

"But you're not supernatural." One of the older girls points out.

"No, I very much so am not, but some of my best friends are." I tell her.

"But, if you got out, why did you come back?"

"Because one of my best friends stayed." My eyes finally land on their target.

"Why?" An older boy asks.

"Because he felt like he was given his powers for a reason, that he should do something with them that benefitted more than just him." I keep walking slowly, a familiar smirk dancing on their lips. "Don't get me wrong: If you want to leave, I will find a way to get you out, but listen to my friend. Because as much as I hate to admit it, he was right: you were given this opportunity, take advantage of it. I'm not saying it has to be this way exactly, but you should use it." I"m almost to the end of the hall.

"Who was your friend?" A younger boy asks "You said he stayed, maybe he's still here?"

"Oh, he's still here" I say, matching their smirk as I get to almost the end of the hallway. I turn to face them, my smirk turning into a relieved smile. "But he's more than just a friend." I say, walking closer to him. "He's the reason I am who I am." I stand with my nose nearly touching his, though not releasing from my dutiful position. "His name is Cedar. And I've been waiting for six years to see him."

The rest of the group fills with gasps and exclamations of excitement, waiting to see what happens next.

He smirks harder, though his eyes fill with delight.

"Welcome back Snippy."