Seventeen.

"No!" I shout before I realize what I'm doing. Everyone turns to look at me, including Brooke who's eyes fill with surprise as she sees me. "Etta?" She whispers, surprise replaced with confusion. Charlie on the other hand can't take his eyes off of Brooke. He looks hurt and ashamed, his chocolate eyes melting like honey. I remember how he said her name earlier.

This won't end well.

All the same, he holds up his fists as attention returns to the two of them. Charlie stands on his toes, leaning all his weight forward, ready to pounce. It's in this exact moment I know that the instructor wasn't lying when she said Charlie used to be the best. I wonder what changed? I can feel excitement and unease in the audience I stand in. Brooke's eyes return to Charlie and she lets out a quick breath as she holds out her starry night paintbrush. She looks like a sheep next to his wolf like figure. But she doesn't look scared. Instead, determination is painted over her irises: thick and through.

"Fight!"

Brooke lunges out first, drawing her brush down as if painting the air. From the bristles escape ribbons, displaying royal blue emotions. They lunge for Charlie, but he ducks under them heading for Brooke head on. He picks her up by her waist and thrusts her to the ground, causing her to drop her paintbrush. The ribbons quickly recede back into the abandoned bristles. Her look of determination doesn't leave her face, though a bit of fear and hurt threatens to seep in as she struggles against Charlie's grip which holds her down. Charlie on the other hand looks angry. This makes the crazy instructor smile.

"Stop Charlie." Brooke says quietly, yet gently forceful.

"I can't!" He says, almost in agony.

Brooke kicks him between the legs, causing him to roll over in pain. She then gets on top of him to hold him down.

"Yes you can!" She says a bit louder now, not caring how many people see them. Or maybe she's forgotten. "She can only control you as much as you let her!"

"Listen to the girl Charlie!" The crazy woman says "Don't let her control you."

They don't even look at her.
Charlie stands up, knocking Brooke off. She quickly finds her feet and stands before him, her hands at her sides, not making any move to attack him while he stands fists raised and a guarded gaze which threatens to fall at the sight of her. You can almost see the battle happening in his mind as he rocks himself back and forth, looking like a preparation to pounce. My hand wraps around my necklace as I bite my lip nervously. I can't help but imagine myself in Charlie's shoes-- or Brooke's. If Cedar was here, and I was in Charlie's place... I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it.

"Look at me Char. Only at me." Brooke says, taking a slow, small step towards him. His raised fists tighten and his silver shell pendant around his neck faintly glows a bright red, ready to burst with energy.

"Forget they're here. It's just you... and me..." Brooke takes a few more steps, putting herself but a few feet away from him. The instructor becomes evidently annoyed and begins to gnaw on her fingernails as she watches closely.

Charlie's position falters a bit: his fists, though still clenched tightly, loosen a bit. His iron gaze softens a bit to look like a bowl of honey, golden and sweet. He no longer looks as threatening as he did not too long ago. But I continue to rub my thumb over the compass around my neck, not able to take my eyes off of the two of them.

"You and me?" He says, his whisper barely audible.

"There's a beach, and shells... Everything is beautiful."

This time he walks closer, walking to stand before her, his nose a few inches from hers.

"Sounds great." He says softly, a sweet yet playful smile dancing on his lips.

Behind them, I can see the instructor getting anxious: her eyebrows knit with frustration and anger. She taps her foot and sends a quick glance to the guards that are watching her, waiting for instructions. She gives them a little nod, and they march onto the mat, one grabbing Charlie, one grabbing Brooke. They rip them apart as if taking a family puppy away from its child. My hand holds my necklace tightly, though I have a feeling that they knew this would happen. The two are dragged off the mats in different directions. The guards seem to make a show of it, dragging one of them across the track and the other through the obstacle course area. Now everyone is aware, though some seem unphased. Neither Charlie nor Brooke fight the guards though as they're pulled behind thick metal doors on opposite sides of the training room.

"Let this be a lesson to you all!" The mad instructor says, standing in the center of the mat, "You are here to be weapons! You are not being trained to make peace. Is that clear!"

"Yes Ma'am!" Everyone shouts in unison, sending a chill through my spine.

I finally release my necklace and feel my sleeve to make sure that the key card is still there. The outline on my skin feels like nothing less than freedom and hope for all those who are stuck down here.

For tonight, they'll be free.