Chapter 13: You

I wake up so early in the morning by someone knocking by the door. I guess Carter's not here anymore, as usual, he went to work so early. I open the door and there's this package and a delivery boy.

"Delivery for Mrs. Davis." the delivery boy said.

"But I didn't order anything." I protest.

"Mr. Davis ordered something for you." he responds. I didn't protest anymore and sign the paper he hands me.

I enter the house with the box. I wonder what this is. He really is full of surprises. I run to the living room to open it. What the heck?! What is this? Is this some kind of joke? I get my phone and dial Carter's number.

"Is this some kind of a joke that I find it not funny?" I scream at him through the phone.

I hear Carter's laugh on the other side of the line before saying "Look, don't take this the wrong way, while I'm still at work, you can learn the basics of the piano through that book." then he hangs up.

I have no choice, I know he's doing me a favor. I'll just do what he says since he is the expert. I spent the whole day learning children's songs on the book. Humpty Dumpty, Happy Birthday, London Bridge.. you name it! I hear a car approaching the garage, I look at the time and it's still 3 in the afternoon. Supposedly, Carter finishes work by 5 PM. He's probably early to teach me.

"So, you've mastered the basics already?" he says while removing his tie as he enters the house.

"Kind of." I shrug.

"So, what song do you plan to perform with?" he asks.

"I don't know. Do you have any suggestions? A song that is easy to learn for beginners?" I ask while still playing the piano on the book.

"Well, there is this song that makes me smile every time I hear it. I just saw this in the internet and I loved it. Especially the lyrics." he smiles. It's so good to look at him smile but sad in the meantime cause I know that I'm not the reason behind this. "You."

"Huh?" I ask. Did I say my thoughts out loud?

"I said 'You'." he repeats. I look at him with a questioning look. "The title of the song is You by Jona."

"Oh! Can you play the song first?" I blush. He walks to the piano in the living room. Of course we have a piano, he has this ever since I came here but this will be the first time I'll hear him play. He then starts to play and sing the lyrics. Here's part of the lyrics I've heard so far.

'You give me hope, the strength, the will to keep on. No one else can make me feel this way. Only you can bring out all the best I can do.'

Though his performance moved me, it aches my heart at the same time. I know I'll never be that person for him. To him, I am and will always be the girl who ruined his chance with the person he's dedicating this song to.