one more attempt

"What? What are you talking about?"

Benjamin had drawn her into his office and closed the door. Now he stood mere inches from Chloe, brown eyes boring into her soul. He leaned against his desk and crossed his arms. "What changed?" he pressed.

"I'm afraid I'll make a mistake and cost you all of this," Chloe said, motioning her hands towards the campaign outside. "Cost you the presidency."

Benjamin laced his fingers around Chloe's wrists and drew her closer to him.

"Chloe, I'm not going to lie - I want you here because being around you makes me feel more alive. You energize me. You excite me," he murmured in a voice that was deeper and made something hot and warm pool at the base of Chloe's spine. He pulled her closer until she was standing between his legs and their chests were flush against each other. With his lips brushing against her neck, he said, "But I also want you here because you're smart and talented. You truly are the best."

"I don't want to ruin you," Chloe answered. Her lids had drifted closed. Her thoughts were foggy, and her dissent was quickly dying on her lips. Being this near to Benjamin, feeling his strong fingers on her hips, then her waist, now around her face, turning her chin up to face him. She opened her eyes and met his gaze.

"You ruined me a long time ago, Chloe Han," Benjamin answered in a coarse whisper. And Chloe could see the pain there, deep in his eyes. She wanted to close her eyes against it, to shield herself from how sharp it was. How his pain was reflected in her eyes, too. She didn't want to know that he still wanted her, because it would make her weak. After eight years, all she wanted was him. She still wanted him. A tear escaped the corner of her eye and Benjamin brushed it away. He leaned closer and closer, so close that her vision of him blurred and she was forced to close her eyes and savor the sensation of him on her lips, smooth and warm and so incredibly soft. The smell of him filled her nostrils, of crisp books and a warm cognac cologne. She whimpered against him, and her lips parted to give him access. His tongue swept against hers, strong and sure and sweet.

Chloe leaned against him for strength she didn't have; clutched his jacket to bring him closer and hold him further away. She was suffocating, she felt like she couldn't breathe and would never be able to breath again, swept away in the current of Benjamin Stone. He pulled away from her. Rested his forehead against hers. His heavy breathing matched hers.

"Stay on the campaign, Chloe. Don't leave me again."

Chloe bit her lip so hard she almost tasted blood. The soft pad of Benjamin's thumb tugged it free, and he kissed the bruised lip. Once. Twice. Again. "Say you'll stay," he whispered. Chloe closed her eyes tightly and let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. How could she say no to this handsome, driven man? And yet, how could she say yes?

"I'm sorry to have wasted your time," Chloe answered. Benjamin gave a soft sigh and pulled away, just enough to fix her with one of his focused gazes.

"If this were anyone else's campaign, would you take the position?" he asked. Chloe frowned, but couldn't lie to him. She nodded. "Then what's the difference?" he asked. Chloe rolled her eyes and pulled away from him. She sat in the wooden chair that Nicole had occupied only moments ago.

"You can't be serious," Chloe answered. "You are the difference. This campaign is the very thing that has stopped us from having what we want in each other. And now I'm supposed to work on it? I lost you to Congress. And now I have to help lose you to the White House."

"You don't have to lose me," Benjamin said, tugging Chloe back up out of the chair, closer to him. "You never had to lose me. If I'd had it my way, you'd be Mrs. Chloe Stone by now--"

"Benjamin," Chloe started, leaning away from him and rolling her eyes.

"--but I know, I know. That's not what you want. That's not who you are. But if I can't have you that way, then at least let me have you as my press secretary."

"You really think it's a good idea for us to work in such close proximity?" Chloe asked dubiously. "I mean, look at what happened at the fundraiser."

"I don't regret that," Benjamin said firmly. "Do you?" Chloe exhaled noisily and looked away.

"And look at us now," she said, motioning to how Benjamin held her body as close to him as he could while still allowing her room for him to see his full face. "Is this how you hold your coworkers?"

Benjamin laughed, unrepentant. "So we want different things out of each other. Sue me."

Chloe shook her head again, exasperated.

"It's more complicated than that," Chloe insisted.

"You'll talk yourself out of this opportunity if I let you," Benjamin interrupted, releasing his hold on her waist and allowing her to step back and put a professional distance between them. "So I'll abide by your rules. I'll keep my hands to myself. I'll be good. But in return, you'll work on the campaign. You'll do something that makes you love your job again. Deal?"

Chloe looked at Benjamin's outstretched hand, and then into his honest face. He thought she wanted him to stay away from her, when what she really wanted was to be so wrapped up in him that no one would be able to tell where she ended and where he began. But that had been impossible the moment that he had set his eyes on the Oval Office. She swallowed hard. If she couldn't have Benjamin her life the way she wanted, at least she could take the risk and have him in her life on these new strange terms. She nodded and shook his hand.

"Deal."