3. Ajax

I was in the yard when my wolf, Loki, began to pace in my head whining making me frown. I sniffed the air and something caught my attention before I dashed towards the woods shifting on the way. Loki kept whining as the further we went. The further I went, the stronger the scent of pine and mint became stronger. I stopped in my tracks when my eyes landed on the most beautiful man I've ever laid eyes on. His head snapped up when he sensed me and I saw as a smile form in his lips but the moment I shifted to my human form, his smile banished and was replaced by disgust making my heart shatter.

"I should've known it would be you who would turn out to be my mate" his scent thick with anger though I could see the conflict in his eyes as his wolf fought him, "I had smelled you but I never thought that it would be you of all people"

The more he spoke the more my heart began to shatter knowing what he was about to say and I wasn't ready. I always knew that mates would accept each other regardless of how they looked and acted. Mates were supposed to love you and be there for you no matter what. I could feel my throat begin to close as my lungs began to constrict in my chest.

"I, Ashton Matthews, reject you, Ajax Storm, as my mate" those words felt like a stab to the heart and I felt my eyes water before I turned on my heels and ran as fast as I could back to the house. I ignored Mama and Beau's calls after me as I made a dash up to my room where I slammed the door shut. Everything around me felt like it was falling apart.

I fell to my knees and sobbed. I clawed at my chest as Loki whined and whimpered in my head at the thought of our mate rejecting us for being different.

I didn't even hear the door burst open until I felt Mama's arms wrap around me as I broke down.

"Shh" he whispered as I he held me against his chest, hands grabbing mine to stop me from clawing my chest, "Shh, you're okay, pup, you're okay" 

I whimpered turning in his arms before burying my face in his stomach as he carded his fingers through my hair like he always did whenever I had a melt down. My throat felt sore as I sniffled, eyes heavy and sore from my crying.

"What happened baby?" He asked and I sniffled pulling back to look up at him

Found my mate Mama I signed and his eyes brightened at my words before he was frowning

"then why are you crying love?" He asked wiping the tears away and I rubbed my nose

He rejected me I couldn't look up at him feeling like a failure. I found my mate got rejected at the same time. I felt his hand take hold of my chin before he was lifting it up so our eyes could lock

"Why are you looking down? You should never look down no matter what. Whoever your mate-" Mama began to say but was cut off by the sound of Papa's booming voice yelling "YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD!" and we frowned standing up before running to the window to see Papa making his way towards Derek and Beau who were standing across from Ashton and his siblings, Cameron and Ailana. Derek moved out of the way in time since Papa was livid. I felt my eyes widen as he took hold of Ashton by the neck before he was flinging him across the yard. Mama and I ran down the stairs and ran outside to the backyard.

"PAPA! STOP!" Beau yelled grabbing Papa by the arm stopping him from getting near Ashton, Papa was absolutely fuming, "think what Ajax might feel if you hurt that bastard"

"He rejected him" Papa snarled, his muscles flexing under his black v-neck, a vein on his neck twitched as he clenched his jaw and his fists were balled at his sides ready to throw punches at Ashton who was getting help getting up by Cameron who turned his brother around and punched him knocking him back down.

"What the fuck Cam?"Ashton snarled holding his bloody nose as he glared up at his brother

"Be lucky that I was the one who punched you not the former alpha and Ajax's father you bastard" Cameron snarled grabbing a fist full of Ashton's shirt and getting in his face, "You rejected your mate the one good thing in your miserable and pathetic life"