XXVII

"Did you really need to bring your sword with you?" Hazel asks me as we make our way through the crowd.

"You never know what will happen," I reply as I shield her from others.

She rolls her eyes as she slaps my arm away from her. "That sword is rusted with blood. It won't do us any good."

She has a good point, but I didn't want to take the chance that anyone could find us. "Let's just get us some clothes and go back to the wagon." I remind her.

She smirks before looking around the small shopping center. Everyone is so busy trying to negotiate to even bother noticing us. It's pretty evident from an outsider's perspective to see that we aren't from here. "Come on, I see a small shop," Hazel says, gaining my attention. I let her drag me to the small hut filled with women's clothing.

"Hello, how can I help you?" a young woman with brown hair automatically says as she makes her way towards us. Once she focuses on us, her eyes widen, "Oh my! Look at you guys!"

We scan each other's ripped up clothing before looking back at the woman. "Yeah, we had quite a journey," Hazel responds with an eyebrow raised. "I'm afraid this is the only clothing we have."

"Well, I have some dresses for you." The woman says, making Hazel frown.

"I don't do tight dresses." She informs the lady.

The woman smiles widely, "oh, I got a new shipment of these dresses that 'scandalous' women like. I think it would suit your aesthetic."

I laugh at her description, "and why would it be considered 'scandalous'"

Her brown eyes glimmer, "oh, cause there's no corset, and the neckline is low. I, for one, think it's fun." She grabs Hazel's wrist and drags her deep into the store. "I'm getting brown is your thing, so here are some dresses." She hands her a handful of dresses.

Before Hazel could say anything, the lady shoved her into a room. "As for you, I have a sweater, my old boyfriend left here. You can have it." She says to me.

"Oh, I couldn't take it." I sheepishly reply.

"You'll be doing me a favor. Hated his guts." She happily replies. She walks behind a desk and rummages through a box. "Here you go!" She hands me a woolly tan sweater.

I thank her as I put my sword on top of the desk. As I remove my shirt, I notice she's staring at the sword. "Is there something wrong?" I ask her.

She touches the blade and makes a sound. "This sword needs a good spa day."

Fixing the sweater, I take my sword back. "I know, but I don't have the supplies to resharpen it." Putting the sword behind me, she grins.

"Oh, my grandfather is a blacksmith. He can help you out." She helps.

I shake my head, "sorry, but I only have enough for a dress and food. My girlfriend and I are building a house deep in the forest. All our money is going to that."

She clocks her head, "did you hire men to construct?"

"It's only us two, I'm afraid," I reply.

"Hades, what do you think of this?" I hear Hazel ask me as she emerges from the room. My heart stopped as we locked eyes. That dress looked as if it was made for her.

"Oh my! That off the shoulder dress looks absolutely radiant on you! I like that little slit in the skirt." The lady says with shining eyes. "Don't you think she's breathtaking?" I merely nod, not finding a word to describe her. She's more than breathtaking. "Oh, honey, put your hair down and let it loose."