CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE | BONDS AND COMMITMENTS

ALEK

     "They're here!"

     A few howls from a distance rang through the pack grounds. I could feel heart pound with excitement as the white and off-white wolves made their way in the direction of the packhouse. The summer sun reflected off their coats, making each one shine bright. The epsilons, protectors of the grounds, gave them space to pass so that they were able to walk by.

     I've been talking to Adrian for the past month through the phone, making sure he and the other wolves didn't get lost on their way here. I wasn't even sure how I had made the journey from Russia to Canada, and I was glad that they had taken such a heavy risk for me, and now they were here, just a little distance away from the front of the main building.

     The wolves took a while to make it into the center and when they did, they bowed their heads low in acknowledgment of the high-ranking wolves that were sitting on stools at the patio.

     The high-ranking wolves and elders who were present greeted them, before Halian, the alpha of the pack turned to gesture at me.

     "Come greet your brothers," he said, making the omegas that were watching through the window to stare at me.

     Impatient, I slipped through the other park members so that I was now standing on the first stair of the patio. I locked eyes with Adrian's yellow years. After all these years I could still recognize his wolf form.

     "You made it," I said, stepping down the stairs.

     I did. Adrian said to me through his thoughts before letting out an excited bark as he wagged his tail. I couldn't recognize most of the other wolves, but I noticed two of the smaller off-white ones shared a similarity to Adrian.

     My sister's step kids. He said. Mine isn't here. Still too young to travel. I'll show you pictures. I nodded, walking up to this alive before squatting and giving him a hug.

     "You must be Adrian." Adrian and I both looked up to see Ahote towering over us. He was cradling is stomach as usual. A sweet smile was plastered on his face, and I could see his curious eyes dart from us to the other Siberian wolves and then back to us.