Chapter 2: Part 4

"I still don't understand why you said Riley, of all people." Carina laughed later as they curled up on Syren's bed with a bowl of crackers and chips.

Her room was Carina's personal favorite out of all her friends'. The entire house was much smaller than Carina's, since it was just Syren and her parents, but it also looked like a cabin, built of logs and all. Syren's room was lit with golden lamps and fairy lights instead of an actual bulb— which lit the walls in a deep pink hue— and there were white, fluffy satin curtains lining her entire left wall, which was just one big window. Aside from that, all she had was a bed (a humongous one at that), a floor length mirror and a very neat wooden desk. Also, her closet was amazing.

"Because I knew nobody was going to be able to get a hold of her." Syren explained through a mouthful of potato-chips, "She's not even here."

"What if they phone her?" Naya asked.

"The idea was to think of something, some sort of a plan, before he got the chance to do that."

"Whatever," Carina sighed, stretching and laying on her back, "I'm not in the mood. Let's think about tomorrow. First day of college." she sang.

"Hey guys, I was thinking," Naya said suddenly, "You know what Otus or Alex, whatever, was saying about that project? He mentioned that you can submit anything about the town's heritage or culture that's interesting enough for the city people to care about. Well I was thinking, doesn't that sound like such a good idea?"

"Naya, I just remembered that there is a lipstick in my mom's room. Can you get it for me? Quick. It's in the absolute back of closet, in the back of the bottom drawer over there. It's wild green. Go, go, I'm so excited for you to see it!"

"Ew, neon green--"

"Just go!"

Naya looked at her weirdly but got up to leave. The second she was gone, Syren turned to Carina worriedly.

"She's been acting weird. Since when does she care about anything other than her grades? And she's been completely avoiding the topic. Don't you see? She's as fragile as glass, right now!"

"What if she just wants to enjoy the evening and the year with the rest of us?" Carina suggested, "I mean, we've all been waiting for this for months--"

"Yes, but she's denying that anything is the matter at all. It's been three days since her dad left in the middle of the night. One day since she gave up on trying to contact him and bam, now she's okay? Look, you weren't there the last time he left, but I was. We were five then. And you came two years later and all you knew was the Naya after her dad left, she was a completely different person. But now, of course, she's okay--"

"Okay, so she's clearly not okay...And?"

"And the fact that she's denying it and not talking about it means she's fragile. So we'll have to take extra care not to hurt her or let her do that do herself, which includes whatever project she has up her sleeve--"

"This is Naya. She gets hurt over anything she wants when she wants. I will try, but what will that guarantee?..."

Naya returned, her eyes alight with suspicion.

"No green lipstick, it was filled with powders. What's going on?" she asked.

Syren rolled over and raised her eyebrows, pointing at Carina.