Chapter 3: Part 1

"Syren, don't switch the engine off." Naya warned shakily.

Aqeel and Seth climbed out of the car and walked toward them proudly, Aqeel holding his arms out as if to say 'surprise!'. Syren cautiously began to back the bike away but Ella seemed to realize what she was doing. She marched down the path furiously.

"If you try to leave, we'll only find you again tomorrow." her cool, clear voice rang out against the beating rain.

Syren paused and, after a deep exhale, switched the engine off.

"Come on, let's just face them." she said.

Carina got off glumly and followed closely behind Syren, clinging onto her for support. As they got closer, Ella, Stevie and Killian huddled closer, so as to close in on them. Carina got the idea that Seth and Aqeel were doing the same from behind. Her heart began to race again, but she clutched her friends' arms for support before her legs could give way.

Carina turned her attention to Ella Bowman, who was somewhat of a celebrity among the younger population of MageTown. People liked to joke that her biggest achievement was being friends with Anastasia Goldrinn, But Carina always thought there was something awe-worthy about the way she carried herself; as if she was the most important thing in the world. Carina had, however, never expected to have their first interaction under such circumstances. That night had been a huge ego-damage for her.

Ella sized them up carefully.

"Have we even met before?" she scoffed.

Her pale blonde hair was falling out of her bun and there were dark circles under her icy-blue eyes and lines around her mouth. She looked more worn out than Carina had ever seen her before.

"You know," she said calmly, "my best friend is in an excruciating amount of pain right now. She needs me there and that's where I've been for the last two days, all other responsibilities forgotten about. Just look at me for Gods sake, I'm a mess...So how do you think I felt when I got the call from Stevie claiming that I had to leave my friend behind because some nobody freshman decided to orchestrate the break up of my other best friend, as if you know, this," she motioned at her appearance, "wasn't enough to handle? Hmm?"

"We didn't orchestrate anything." Carina snorted, rolling her eyes, "Jeez, I just said what I heard. It's called having a civil conversation."

Ella blinked, as if she couldn't believe her ears, and then restored her sugary smile.

"Oh right, from whom again? Riley Sorrow?"

At this, all of them paused to collectively laugh as Naya threw Syren an angry glare and Syren shot Naya a 'how very dare you' glare in return.

"The boys here were telling me about that but I had to hear it from you myself."

"We did—" Syren began, but suddenly Stevie was in her face for the second time that night, nearly snarling.

Syren stared at him wide eyed, and only because Carina was standing so close to her, could she feel her shaking.

"Now see," Stevie hissed, "there are a billion and one reasons I could list to explain to you why it's simply not fucking Riley Sorrow. But I'm going to spare you the time, because for a while, I just couldn't piece together how you had managed to find out until I caught site of this—"

Before Carina could realize, he had lunged for her coat and had grabbed the umbrella out from underneath it, holding it up for everyone to see. Naya simply dug her head in her hands and whimpered. Stevie looked at them proudly and then at his friends.

"What were you saying about Riley again?" he asked.

"We spent an hour just looking for that thing." Killian laughed, "The one day we forget to lock the doors."