Chapter 1: Freedom?

Arthur walked back into his dark house. He turned around and looked out the window to see Scout looking at the view from his porch. He had to admit, it was quite a view. He smiled at her, glad she and her brother were safe. Then he watched Scout run home, probably worried about her brother, Jem. Arthur hoped he'd be alright. As he walked towards the stairs that led to his bedroom, he heard the floorboards creak in front of him. He stopped. He wondered if Bob Ewell really was dead. Then Nathan walked out of the darkness, a look of pure anger on his face. "Where have you been?" Nathan asked in a low voice. Arthur swallowed real hard and looked at his brother.
"Outside." He whispered.
"I know. What're you doin' outside?" Nathan asked.
"Just walking" Arthur answered. Nathan scoffed and Arthur jumped.
"I heard what happened. By the time I grabbed my gun, you already killed that man and ran off with that boy. I know what you did Arthur. And we both now Elijah and ma wouldn't like a murderer in their house!" Nathan shouted and stomped his foot. Arthur's eyes widened and he shook his head quickly.
"Nathan I...those kids were...Bob Ewell was..." He stuttered.
"Arthur, you're a maniac. You can't trust your own words, no one can. You are insane, that's why you killed that man. Do you understand?" Nathan asked in a sickly sweet voice. Arthur looked at the ground and nodded slowly, bitting his tongue to hold back his tears.
"Yes." He whispered.
"You know father and mother wouldn't want you here?" Nathan asked. Arthur nodded again. Nathan sighed and opened the front door. He watched Arthur with disappointment as his younger brother walked outside. Arthur looked back and Nathan slammed the door. Arthur looked at the street to his left. Then the one to his right. Then he looked up at the moonless yet stary sky. Then it hit him: he was free. He smiled brightly and jumped, whispering "yes" to himself. He laughed a little bit, still looking at the sky he hadn't seen in so long. He walked around the neighborhood, peaking into windows just to see if those people were still alive. Then he walked into the Finch's yard. He noticed that the light in Jem's room was still on. He slowly crept up to the window and looked into it. Atticus was reading Scout a book while she sat on his lap. Jem still laid on the bed, his arm in the cast. Scout said something and Atticus answered, then they went back to the story. Arthur walked away from the window. He wiped his face and finally realized he was crying. He wished he had this when he was a child. He wished his father had read stories to him when he was little. He was still lonely...and he felt it. There was nobody there when he needed them most. Only the people he imagined kept him company as he laid on the Finch's porch and soon fell asleep to the imaginary voices having a wonderful conversation in his mind.