chapter 17

Running out of the building crying was definitely the highlight of my day.

Seeing my boyfriend kissing someone else topped it.

I knew the way home from the cafe, so I just ran. Throwing away my coffee in a near trash can, I sprinted home.

I hear yells from Jack. I turn, and then his yells are silenced by his "friend" kissing him viciously.

I turn from the disgusting act of PDA and run even faster. I feel like a superhuman, holding in all feelings, and only hearing the pound of my Vans on the road.

•+•+•+•

* * Jacks PoV * *

After I made the selfish mistake of kissing her back for one second, I knew I chose the wrong choice.

It didn't feel the same. At all. No fire. No love. It just felt like two lips together. Awkward.

As soon as I pulled away, disgusted, I saw a black Van flash out the door. I run after her, screaming her name. As I run, I feel a strong grip on my arm. A swimmers grip, I remember. At first I think it's Sam, but then I remember she's the one running away.

I am forcefully turned around, and my friend smashes her lips into mine. I push her away to see Sam running even faster. I run inside, on the verge of tears, grab our Penny boards, and skate out of the cafe as fast as I humanely could.

I try to catch up to Sam, but she's making hard turns and the fact I'm on a skateboard and I'm also holding one makes this journey harder for me.

Eventually, after multiple trees to the face, tripping a couple times, and deciding to run, I catch up to Sam.

"Sam!"

"What Jack? You betrayed me! And you think I'm going to take you back?"

"Let me explain!"

"You've got five minutes."

"Okay so that girl was head over heels for me in high school. I kept telling her no, I had my mind on someone else. She kept trying. She even sends me creepy love texts! I finally got away from her. Earlier I was trying to tell her to stay away from me and you, but she saw her chance to make me single and she kissed me, okay? I kissed her back for one second, to see if there was any sort of connection. There wasn't. You're the only one, Sam. You gotta understand that. You can run away, take your time, whatever. Just know that I'll always love you and want you back."

I look up, see her blink a tear, and then she gently moves closer and her lips move upward to mine.

Her tears and my tears mix and mingle on our faces, but there's this act of desperation for each other no one could break.