Part 5 - Let's go back to the start

Hi everyone!!

Thank you all for getting back to me about my upload schedule!! Seems like most of you would prefer if I just uploaded the parts when I was able to, rather than having a set day - which is fine by me.

I know I said that this part was going to be ready on Sunday night but I had a few disruptions in my personal life which meant I only got round to finishing it tonight.

Hope you're all having a great week!

Let me know what you think of this part.

TLF x

______________________________

The papers were signed, the instructions were in a bag, and Dianne was still flustered from the nurse's demonstration for Joe on helping Dianne change her bandages. Joe had honestly been so focused on the task, fearing he would mess something up and hurt Dianne further, that he didn't even notice the obvious blush until after Dianne was fully dressed in the sweats and a loose hoodie that he had brought with him that morning.

Of course, Rina had stopped by to make sure everything was in order and ask the doctor a million and one questions earlier that morning before the discharge was final. Dianne expected nothing less from her overprotective mum.

"Mrs Buswell, I assure you, Dianne is doing exceptionally well. She's ready to go home. Just make sure she attends her follow up appointments." With that, the doctor turned and walked away with a smile, clearly used to this kind of behaviour from family members.

"I don't know, love," Rina said, turning towards her daughter, a frown firmly in place.

"Are you sure you feel up to this? Going home is a big deal now."

"Mum, I have to get out of this place before I completely lose it."

"Alright, but I need you to promise me that you'll call the second anything happens. You promise me?"

"Yes, mum."

"I wish I could come and help you settle in at home, but our flights are booked for this evening."

"Mum, it's fine," Dianne said, settling into the wheelchair that had been placed there only a few minutes earlier, already knowing being pushed out was the only way they'd let her leave. "You've already been here far too long anyway. You need to get back to normal now. Besides, it's not like I'll be alone." She looked over her shoulder to where Joe stood nearby, reading over some of the instructions they'd been given for the fifth time, completely oblivious to the conversation. Rina watched the interaction, clearly amused by the couple, but finally accepting the doctor and Dianne's words. When she leaned over to hug her tightly, she smiled brightly and thanked her once again, sincerely appreciating how much her mum had been there over the last few weeks.

An hour later, with Rina long gone, Joe wheeled her out the front doors of the hospital, and Dianne lifted her head to the sunlight, basking in it's warmth for the first time in weeks. She felt Joe stop pushing the wheelchair and he stood, thrilled to stretch his limbs in the early autumn air.

"Alright, you ready?" Joe asked, loaded down with all the things they'd accumulated over their time at the hospital. Dianne just nodded and stretched, walking towards the cab waiting at the curb for them, taking note that Joe was never more than half a step

Dianne turned to her window down and took notice of their surroundings as they drove home. Everything looked familiar, nothing out of place. She saw Elstree, and the coffee shop she'd go to every morning. She saw everything as she remembered it.

But not Joe. He's not in any of these places. Why couldn't she remember? No memory at all and now she was heading to god knows where with said man, having no idea what awaited her.