Chapter 2: Something Good

Too good to be true Max. So, I traveled to a time to the future that never was?

Max followed Chloe to the kitchen downstairs. It was their same home. That same comforting place that also felt like home to her. Upon entering, Joyce was placing warm plates of breakfast on the table. Maxine was hit by the familiar scent of her famous Belgian Waffles.

"Good morning you two! You ready to chow down?"

"Oh I'm gonna go ham on those waffles.... AFTER I open my presents." Chloe gave a snide grin.

"By the time you do that, your food will be cold. But me and Max won't let that happen, now will we?" William nudged Max with his elbow and winked at her.

Chloe sighed and rolled her eyes. "Fineee. Lets feast, ye cockblockers." She sat down. Her friend couldn't help but laugh. Same old Chloe. Maxine pulled up a chair next to her.

"So Max, want to take a guess as to what you think your best friend in the world got you?"

"Your bag of coal? A box set of Breaking Bad? A boy?" Max snickered.

"Wow I thought you only had eyes for me." Chloe gave a sarcastic pouty face. "I don't know if there's anyone in Arcadia that can even handle your geeky ass."

I might know at least one.

Max and Chloe both reach for the bottle of syrup at the same time; their hands touching. They both gaze at each other's eyes, almost lovingly, but Chloe laughed. "Nice try Max. Trying to seduce me for some of this delicious fucking syrup. Don't think I don't know."

She doesn't know how many times I've lost her, and how great it feels she's in arm's reach of me. And she's so happy. I've never seen her so happy...

Chloe poured the syrupy goodness all over her waffles and over Max's too. Max takes a bite and closes her eyes in bliss. Joyce's pancakes were the best food on this planet. It had been a long while before she was able to eat a good meal. Her appetite wasn't all there the past couple of months if she was completely honest with herself. 

After their hearty meal was finished, William walked over to their Christmas tree and handed Chloe and Max a gift each. Chloe wasted no time in tearing the wrapping paper off her's. The gift was revealed to be a new smartphone.

"Right fucking on!" Chloe pulled out her old phone which showed heavy signs of wear and tear, took out the SIM card and shot it into the trash bin like it was a game of basketball.

"Score!" Her dad cheered and looked over to Joyce, who was shaking her head. "You better take good care of this one." she said sternly to her daughter.

"Aye aye Captain!" Chloe saluted then began closely inspecting her new toy.

"Go ahead Max!" Encouraged William. Max pried the paper off. It was the camera Chloe had gifted to Max as a token of her gratitude for saving her in the bathroom in the old timeline.

"I think it'll do you more good than to Chloe here. Speaking of which, how excited are you to start Blackwell after the new year? Maybe you can keep Chloe in check." Joyce replied.

Max gasped.

Whoa wait a minute? I haven't enrolled at Blackwell? That means Jefferson and Nathan are still roaming there and doing those awful things? Relax Max. Things seem much different this time. Maybe you're overreacting.

"Earth to Max?" Chloe stared at her best friend, puzzled. "You're starting to zone out a lot more than usual." She noticed how strange her friend seemed today but couldn't put her finger on it.